20000615: RTGINI access via ADDE

>From: weather <address@hidden>

Robert,

>I am creating Texas VIS/IR images every 15 minutes for internal
>passworded protected use for briefings this summer from
>adde.unidata.ucar.edu.  Is this acceptable?

Yup, perfectly.  By the way, there is no restriction on the GINI imagery,
so having the images password protected is not required (from this end
at least).

>It works great BTW.

Glad to hear it.  I will be asking you and Gilbert (another
every-15-minute ADDE user) to be switching to a different machine in the
near future.  I will let you know when the move should be made.

As part of a project to make archive data more accessible to the
Unidata community, a new machine has been installed in the machine room
at the NCAR mesa lab.  This machine is now (as of a few hours ago)
ingesting all of the data that is currently flowing through the Unidata
IDD and more (including CONDUIT data and NOAAPORT GINI imagery).  Our
intention is to give our users access to a robust machine (0.5 TB disk;
4 GB RAM; quad processor) that also as direct access to the NCAR MASS
Store.  As time goes on, this machine will offer free access to a huge
variety of data through:

o web request
o FTP
o LDM
o McIDAS ADDE
o DODS
o Java RMI

One of our hopes is that we can make access easy enough that sites will
never have to appeal to the kind needdata folks for data that they
missed.  We are also planning for the new machine to take over (replace)
the IDD top tier activities from the aging SGI box we now call thelma.

All-in-all, the prospects are pretty exciting!

>Thanks,

Later...

Tom