20000426: monitor on Unidata product generator

>From: Denise Laitsch <address@hidden>

Denise,

>The monitor on our Unidata product generator is on its last leg and
>needs to be replaced. I've heard that you're considering buying a new
>machine to replace this computer.

That is correct.  We are specing out a dual processor, Intel based
machine with something on the order of 100 - 200 GB of disk.  We have
been purchasing systems like this (with less disk) for internal uses
for some time and have had very good experience in running them.

>I'd like the new monitor to be
>compatible with future needs. Would you fill me in on your plans so that
>I can make a reasonable selection?

This brings up a good point: does SSEC feel that they need to purchase
the machine that will sit in their Data Center even though it will be
used exclusively for Unidata use?

>I'd like to order the monitor this week.

Since the type of machine we want to replace the current one with is
significantly different (PC versus a Sun SPARC 20), purchasing a
monitor to replace the failing one would be pretty much a waste of
money.  I believe that we have a Sun monitor that we can ship you as a
replacement, so no new one needs to be purchased.  I will get together
with our system administrator shortly to verify this.  Will this work
for you?