20000322: a McIDAS question

>From: Juying Xie Warner <address@hidden>

Juying,

>I just started to use McIDAS.  I need to display some
>NOAA POES satellite images.  I tried to link the
>datasets from Wisconsin using:
>DATALOC ADD GILMORE GILMORE.SSEC.WISC.EDU
>Then when I tried to display the data using:
>IMGDISP GILMORE/ALL.0,
>it responded with an error message:
>IMGDISP:  Accounting data was not valid.
>
>I don't understand if my account is not authorized to use the
>SSEC data center information,

This particular message does indicate that you machine is not authorized
to use the SSEC data center information.  If you feel that you should
have this access (e.g., if NCAR has an account with SSEC that allows
for doing just this sort of thing), then you should send an email to
the SSEC Data Center:

address@hidden

>or if my commands are wrong for what I try to do.

Your command looks OK _IF_ there is an ALL group of the GILMORE dataset.
This can be determined with a DSINFO command:

DSINFO IMAGE GILMORE

        Dataset Names of Type: IMAGE in Group: GILMORE

Name         NumPos   Content
------------ ------   --------------------------------------
ALL           2000    POES all images
N12HIRS         10    NOAA-12 HIRS AREAS
N12HRPT       2000    POES NOAA-12 HRPT images
N12MSU          10    NOAA-12 MSU AREAS
N12TIP          10    NOAA-12 TIP AREAS
N14GAC        2000    POES NOAA-14 GAC images
N14HIRS         10    NOAA-14 HIRS AREAS
N14HRPT       2000    POES NOAA-14 HRPT images
N14LAC        2000    POES NOAA-14 LAC images
N14MSU          10    NOAA-14 MSU AREAS
N14TIP          10    NOAA-14 TIP AREAS
N15AMSUA        10    NOAA-15 AMSUA AREAS
N15AMSUB        10    NOAA-15 AMSUB AREAS
N15GAC        2000    POES NOAA-15 GAC images
N15HIRS         10    NOAA-15 HIRS3 AREAS
N15HRPT       2000    POES NOAA-15 HRPT images
N15LAC        2000    POES NOAA-15 LAC images

DSINFO -- done

So, ALL is a valid group in GILMORE.  This means that you problem is
simply that your machine has not been enabled to request data from
the SSEC Data Center.

>I would really appreciate it if you could give me some directions.

If you feel that you should be able to access the data, then you need
to send an email to the SSEC Data Center at the address I listed
above.

Tom Yoksas