20000308: Plymouth NOAAPORT receivers and GINI imagery (cont.)

>From: Unidata User Support <address@hidden>

Jim,

>I'll do some configuring to set you up tomorrow, as I've got to leave
>for tonight. Currently, you can't su or telnet into the superuser with a
>user account like mcidas. I'll set you up with an account that will
>be in the right group to su.

OK.  Thanks.  I was able to login and setup things up with few problems.

>I think we'll be using snow.plymouth.edu. It's a PIII 500MHz system that
>isn't overly taxed unless we change it from backup to primary web
>production machine. It's the one that you were working on in Long Beach,
>so it shouldn't need much tweaking.

Sounds good.  As promised, here is the "blow-by-blow" of what I did on
your system:

<logged on and became 'mcidas'>

o verified that the setup for the McIDAS remote ADDE server was correct.
  We must have finished this in Long Beach because nothing needed tweaking.
  For reference, I checked:

  o /etc/services entries
  o /etc/inetd.conf entries
  o contents of ~mcidas/.mcenv
  o contents of ~mcidas/workdata/RESOLV.SRV

o I made a minor change to ~mcidas/.cshrc.  The change was in the uncommenting
  of the conditional 'if' around the definition of MCDATA, MCPATH, etc.
  I guess that I commented the lines out in Long Beach and didn't have a
  chance to uncomment them then.

o I updated your distribution to the latest patch level:

  cd mcidas7.6/update
  ftp ftp.unidata.ucar.edu
    <user>
    <pass>
    binary
    cd unix/760/bugfix
    get mcupdate.tar.Z
    quit
  ./mcunpack
  cd ../src
  make all
  make install.all

o I installed my GINI ADDE server code and created a configuration file
  for GINI images available on your system:

  ftp ftp.unidata.ucar.edu
    <user -- for my development area; not accessible otherwise>
    <pass>
    cd mcidas7.6/src
    prompt
    mget servutil.[ch] giniutil.[ch] ginia*.c makefile
    cd ~/workdata
    lcd ~/workdata
    get GINI.CFG
    quit
  make giniadir ginaget
  ln giniadir giniaget ~/bin

o I then edited the ADDE dataset definition file and my GINI configuration
  file:

  cd ~/workdata
  <edit RESOLV.SRV and add entries for RTGINI dataset elements>
  <edit GINI.CFG and set locations to match your system>

If everything had gone without a hitch, this would have been all that
was necessary.  Unfortunately, I found that the headers on the GINI
imagery that you are storing in /data/noaaport2/sat do not exactly match
the GINI imagery that we are pulling off of our receiver.  It seems
that the initial header on your files is 25 bytes longer than on ours.

In order to find this difference I had to:

  o change the read/write permissions on ~mcidas/mcidas and
    ~mcidas/mcidas/data so that members of the group 'mcidas' is in can
    write to them.  This was needed for me to debug the slight problem I
    had with your GINI images.

I will have to investigate the header difference more in the next
couple of days to see if I can modify my server code to recognize this
a little better.  Right now, I use an offset to the beginning of image
header data that is hardwired in a C #define statement.  All I had to
do was change this value from 21 to 26 and rebuild giniadir and
giniaget.

After that access to the GINI imagery on your system worked fine.

One question/observation:

I was under the impression that your receiver was setup to get all 4
NOAAPORT channels.  Apparently, you are not saving the GOES-West,
Hawaiian National or Regional, and Alaskan National and Regional
images.  These I believe are in NOAAPORT channel 2 (if channel 1
contains GOES-East stuff).  You are also not saving the multi satellite
northern hemisphere composite image that is available in NOAAPORT
channel 4.  This one is not of as good a quality as the GOES-East/West
sectors, so I wouldn't worry about it.

The question is whether or not you intend to start processing the
GOES-West images or not.  I put commented out entries in the ADDE
product definition file (~mcidas/workdata/RESOLV.SRV) and definitions
in the GINI configuration file (~mcidas/workdata/GINI.CFG), so turning
them on ADDE-wise will be very easy if you ever decide to make them
available.

After configuring your system, I exercised it a bit to check things out.
Here are some of the McIDAS commands that I ran with total success:

DATALOC ADD RTGINI SNOW.PLYMOUTH.EDU
DSINFO IMAGE RTGINI

        Dataset Names of Type: IMAGE in Group: RTGINI

Name         NumPos   Content
------------ ------   --------------------------------------
GE1KVIS       9999    GINI 1 km VIS East CONUS
GE2KVIS       9999    GINI 2 km VIS East CONUS
GE4K12        9999    GINI 4 km 12.0 um East CONUS
GE4K39        9999    GINI 4 km 3.9 um East CONUS
GE4KIR        9999    GINI 4 km 10.7 um East CONUS
GE4KVIS       9999    GINI 4 km VIS East CONUS
GE8KWV        9999    GINI 8 km WV East CONUS
GNC24K12      9999    GINI 24 km 12.0 um Nhem-Composite
GNC24K39      9999    GINI 24 km 3.9 um Nhem-Composite
GNC24KIR      9999    GINI 24 km 10.7 um Nhem-Composite
GNC24KVIS     9999    GINI 24 km VIS Nhem-Composite
GNC24KWV      9999    GINI 24 km WV Nhem-Composite
GPN8KIR       9999    GINI 8 km 10.7 um Puerto Rico National
GPN8KVIS      9999    GINI 8 km VIS Puerto Rico National
GPN8KWV       9999    GINI 8 km WV Puerto Rico National
GPR1KVIS      9999    GINI 1 km VIS Puerto Rico Regional
GPR4K12       9999    GINI 4 km 12.0 um Puerto Rico Regional
GPR4K39       9999    GINI 4 km 3.9 um Puerto Rico Regional
GPR4KIR       9999    GINI 4 km 10.7 um Puerto Rico Regional
GPR8KWV       9999    GINI 8 km WV Puerto Rico Regional
GSN8K12       9999    GINI 8 km 12.0 um Super-National
GSN8K39       9999    GINI 8 km 3.9 um Super-National
GSN8KIR       9999    GINI 8 km 10.7 um Super-National
GSN8KVIS      9999    GINI 8 km VIS Super-National
GSN8KWV       9999    GINI 8 km WV Super-National

DSINFO -- done

IMGLIST RTGINI/GSN8KIR.ALL
Image file directory listing for:RTGINI/GSN8KIR
 Pos Satellite/         Date       Time      Center   Band(s)
     sensor                                 Lat  Lon
 --- -------------  ------------  --------  ---- ---- ------------
   1  G-8 IMG        8 MAR 00068  00:45:00    41 -174 4
   2  G-8 IMG        8 MAR 00068  01:15:00    41 -174 4
   3  G-8 IMG        8 MAR 00068  01:45:00    41 -174 4
   4  G-8 IMG        8 MAR 00068  02:15:00    41 -174 4
   5  G-8 IMG        8 MAR 00068  02:45:00    41 -174 4
   6  G-8 IMG        8 MAR 00068  03:15:00    41 -174 4
IMGLIST: done

IMGDISP RTGINI/GSN8KIR LATLON=42 100 MAG=-2 EU=IMAGE REFRESH='EG;MAP H'
Beginning Image Data transfer, bytes= 308480
IMGDISP: loaded frame  11
EG;MAP H
IMGDISP: done
EU: Restoring IMAGE.ET     to frame(s)=  11
EU: Done
Erased graphic frame(s) 11-11
MAP: completed frame  11

IMGDISP RTGINI/GNC24KIR STA=KMIA MAG=1 EU=IMAGE REFRESH='EG;MAP H'
Beginning Image Data transfer, bytes= 308480
IMGDISP: loaded frame  11
EG;MAP H
IMGDISP: done
EU: Restoring IMAGE.ET     to frame(s)=  11
EU: Done
Erased graphic frame(s) 11-11
MAP: completed frame  11

IMGDISP RTGINI/GE1KVIS STA=KBOS MAG=1 EU=IMAGE REFRESH='EG;MAP H'
Beginning Image Data transfer, bytes= 307968
IMGDISP: loaded frame  11
EG;MAP H
IMGDISP: done
EU: Restoring IMAGE.ET     to frame(s)=  11
EU: Done
Erased graphic frame(s) 11-11
MAP: completed frame  11

So, everything looks like it is up and running with no problems.
One thing that I would suggest is setting up TCP wrappers on the
ports that the ADDE remote server uses.  This will allow you/us
to monitor what machines request GINI images off of your system.
If you want me to set this up, I will do it tomorrow afternoon
(the morning is shot by a dentist appointment).

Again, thanks for allowing ADDE access to your GINI data holdings!

Tom