Re: 19991213: Unidata/Wisc Broadcast archive

Tom Yoksas wrote:

> >From: "Chad W. Johnson" <address@hidden>
>
> Chad,
>
> >Earlier this summer we had decided to extend the archiving of point and
> >grid products an extra month (through August I believe).
>
> Right, except that I thought that this was openended.
>
> >Well, we have
> >continued to archive these data to date. Before we shut it down, I
> >wanted to get in touch with you. On your comand we will stop archiving
> >the point, grid, and text products.
>
> I think that we should stop the archiving of the grid and point data on
> December 31, not before.  Is this a problem?

Tom,

This is not a problem, but going beyond Dec. 31 will be a problem. In
doing some last minute checks on Y2K issues with the broadcast, the MD
stuff will probably not work correctly after Y2K. I have some comments
in the code which states that "Unidata sites have a problem with MD
files that are Y2K aware", thus I make sure that the integer ID of the
file (word 15) is not written with dates in IYD format - at least that
is where this comment is. Also, the MD files still have the DAY field in
CYD units instead of the Y2K compatible CYD unit. I suspect that the
GRID stuff may also break, but haven't looked at it.

Going on the assumption that we will not be broadcasting these products
after Dec 31, I will not try to make the MD, GRID, or TEXT products Y2K
aware.

-Chad