19991011: Unidata-Wisconsin data archive information

>From: MUG <address@hidden>

Rick,

Becky Shaffer just forwarded the message below to Unidata User Support.
My response at the end of this email assumes that you are FTPing from
the Unidata-Wisconsin archive that is located on the machine
unidata.ssec.wisc.edu.  Please let us know if this is an incorrect
assumption.

>I'm not sure what kind of data you ftp'd from the Unidata site.  Your best
>bet would be to ask Unidata what kind of data you received and how to view it
>using McIDAS.  Their email address is address@hidden.  I
>carbon-copied them on this message.
>
>Becky
>=================
>Becky Schaffer
>McIDAS Help Desk
>address@hidden
>=================

>REPLY FROM: MUG
>Date: Mon, 11 Oct 1999 12:37:20 -0600
>From: address@hidden
>Subject: Help request
>To: address@hidden
>  I am hoping somebody at SSEC can help me. I recently ftp'ed some files
>from Unidata, which I want to view using McIDAS OS/2 Version 7.4. I have
>not been able to find the command to use to convert these to AREA,
>MDfiles, etc. What is the command? Or, if you could direct me to a site
that would give instructions for this, it would be greatly appreciated.

>                        Thank you,
>
>                        Rick Brandt
>
>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>         Rick Brandt
>     Research  Assistant
>    Texas Tech University
> e-mail:address@hidden
>Office phone:  (806)742-2905
>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A description of the files maintained in the archive of the Unidata-Wisconsin
datastream can be found in:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/data/unirec.html

You will see from this document that the imagery in the archive is already
in AREA format; the point source data is already in MDXX format; etc.
The confusion may have come from the comment in the page about converting:

"So the 1815 GMT GOES-8 Visible image for January 21, 1996 would be the file
199601211815.goes8vis The data files are not compressed. To use them in McIDAS,
you will have to convert them to an appropriate McIDAS names (AREAnnnn,
GRIDnnnn, MDXXnnnn, UNIDATAS). "

What we were trying to say was that the files need to be renamed into
an appropriate McIDAS file name.  So, you would do something like:

ren 199601211815.goes8vis AREA0001

etc.  What AREA, MDXX, GRID file numbers you choose depends on what realtime
AREA, MDXX, and GRID files you already have on your system.  It is most
likely the case that you do not have image, point source, or grid files
in the 2000 range, so I would start there:

ren 199601211815.goes8vis AREA2000

Please let me know if this is what you were after, or if you have other
problems.

Tom Yoksas