19990915: Several McIDAS related questions (cont.)

>From: Anthony Rockwood - MSCD Meteorology <address@hidden>

Tony,

>Thanks for the reply.  I suspected the NIDS frequency was something like
>that, but wasn't sure.

OK.

re: info on how to change NIDS scouring
>Yes, and I appreciate the help.  But there was some confusion over what
>the correct procedure is for changing the values,

What I sent before was correct but not complete.  Don point out that
I left out the need to modify the location of the data information in
the scour script.  He was also worried that you might setup a new
cron entry when he had already setup one that through a minor error
was not working correctly.

>and Don took it upon
>himself to reset them to their defaults.

Right.

>I thought I could follow the
>instructions on how to change the values, but I couldn't.  Sounds like it
>will be more trouble than it's worth.

It is a big hassle to change, but, then again, one doesn't change this
sort of thing more than once, so the pain is localized in time :-)

re: which account were things not working from
>No I didn't, and now that I try these as user McIDAS, they work.

This tells me that the REDIRECTions for the account in which the GUI
was being run are probably not setup correctly/completely.  The thing
to do is to get the error messages from the GUI Comand mode and send
them along.

>Sorry I didn't try that before.

No problem.

>We have the system setup so that students work
>out of their own accounts, rather than a general user account,

Good.

>and
>obviously something isn't right.  We'll have to figure out why.

Most likely, the student needs to do something like:

REDIRECT REST LOCAL.NAM

assuming, of course, that ~mcidas/data/LOCAL.NAM has been edited so that
directories in it match your setup (I belive that I did this).

>Thanks for the help,

Later...

Tom

>From address@hidden  Thu Sep 16 13:43:55 1999

Regarding why McGUI works out of some accounts and not others, on some
machines and not others, means we don't have things set up correctly.
I'll try to figure out why when I get time.

Thanks,

Tony

   Anthony A. Rockwood              Metropolitan State College of Denver
   Meteorology Program              Dept.of Earth and Atmospheric Sciences
   303.556.8399                     P.O. Box 173362, Campus Box 22
   address@hidden                Denver, CO  80217-3362
   http://www.mscd.edu/~eas         http://clem.mscd.edu/~rockwooa