19990727: NOAA/NGDC DMSP data for the Unidata community (cont.)

>From: address@hidden (Chris Elvidge)

Chris,

>Good to hear from you.  I am writing a proposal to the NOAA High Performance
>Computing and Communications (HPCC) Networking Panel, requesting support for
>a high speed network connection for the DMSP data to get out of NGDC, via
>Abilene.

Sounds like a good use of the projected bandwidth.

>This could be the route to get the data over to UCAR-UNIDATA.  The
>proposal is due this Friday.

Phew!  Short fuse.

>Could I list UCAR-UNIDATA as one of the
>programs the DMSP - HPCC project would serve?

Yes, absolutely.  Additionally, it would probably  be useful to note
somewhere in your proposal that Unidata Program Center (the name of our
organization in UCAR; Unidata is the name for the entire cooperative
effort) actually represents the interests of some 150 participating
universities.  How many of these institutions would directly benefit
from the DMSP data is uncertain, but I feel that it would be useful to
several of the more research oriented ones.

>Could I list you as a co-investigator?

Yes, but I would really like to understand the scope of what this would
mean in terms of time commitment.  My plate is pretty full right now,
so biting off anything large would be  problematic.

>I am putting together a table of daily data volumes as part of the HPCC
>proposal.  I'll try to have this for you (as well as the draft proposal if
>you have time to take a look at it) later today.

Sounds good.  I and others in Unidata look forward to seeing it.

>Thanks,

You are welcome.

>*
>Chris Elvidge