19990624: Re: Boundary layer profiler

Hi Joan,

--On Wed, Jun 23, 1999 11:05 PM +0000 Joan Brundage <address@hidden>
wrote:

> Linda,
>
>   We were just going through our task list and came across an entry to
> distribute boundary layer profiler data to Unidata.  Is this something
> you still want?  If so, do you remember why we haven't done it yet
> (none of us could).  Thanks.

At the time, I think you had said you were short handed and it would take
some time to get things organized.  Also, the ACARS have been a priority
task for a long time.  I've copied Unidata support on this email, so unless
we hear to the contrary, we could consider doing this.  The question leads
to the same type of questions from us though.

We would need a description of the data and the following parameters:

1. How many and which profilers are equipped and providing boundary layer
data?
2. What's the volume of data?
3. What's the frequency of the data?
4. What format?
5. How would they be provided?
6. What would be a target date for providing the data?

(if I've missed something, Support can inform us)

> BTW.  We haven't had any universities ask for the acars yet.  We are
> sending it to a NWS office.

I'm not too surprised, although I know you'll hear from UCAR/JOSS, because
they have been asking me frequently when the ACARS would be available via
the LDM. Steve Williams has been away from the office, but I just saw him
yesterday and he said he was going to pursue it very soon.

It's been our experience that things are pretty quiet around universities
during the summer, while people take their summer breaks, etc.  After
things get rolling again in the fall, there will probably be some activity.

ACARS are a new data set (not to you, but to some universities), and it
takes awhile for people to understand the importance of such a data set and
where it fits into their education/research activities.

Thanks,

Linda

> Joan

Linda Miller