19990608: backup selector site for NIDS floater (cont.)

>From: Unidata User Support

Paul,

>excellent. I think that answers most of my questions. Yes...we will be
>willing to supplement the floater sites when needed at times when
>Millersville is not around. Will they mail us (via a mailing alias) when
>they are in or out? Good communication between us will be most helpful.

I guess that I was not clear enough in my original email.  Here is a
second attempt:

The times that Millersville people cannot guarantee to be manning their
weather lab are from 22Z until 12Z weekdays plus weekends and
holidays.  This will mean that on a typical weekend your coverage will
start at 22Z on Friday and end at 12Z on Monday.  On a weekend that
includes a Monday holiday your coverage would last from 22Z on Friday
until 12Z on Tuesday; for a weekend that includes a Friday holiday and
no Monday holiday, your coverage would last from 22Z on Thursday until
12Z on Monday; etc.  I originally discussed the idea of being able to
transfer responsibility "on the spur of the moment" (i.e. no preset
schedule), but Rich and I agreed that the logistics of this could get
messy.  Rich much preferred a fixed schedule so that both they and you
could plan for coverage duties in advance.

Again, the backup coverage duties will initially last through Labor Day.
If all goes well and if both you and Millersville agree, the responsibility
may be extended.

>If that is OK with you...let us go ahead with this plan.

We attempted to get hold of the appropriate person at WSI yesterday but
were unsuccessful.  When I get the information, I will send an email
to both you and Millersville letting you know that the shared selection
responsibilities will start either later that day (if it is early enough)
or the next afternoon.  I think that it would be appropriate for your
first message to the community to contain a short note about COD agreeing
to help out with the coverage.

>I agree that
>thius will serve the community better and I am pleased with your support
>and cooperation.

I think that this could work out well for everyone involved.

Tom