19990510: Washington and Illinois data archive setups

>From: David Wojtowicz <address@hidden>

Harry and David,

Unidata is entering into a joint project with NCAR/SCD that is aimed at
making NCAR's massive data archive available to the Unidata community
free-of-charge.  The initial steps in this project are the installation
of the LDM on a new compute server (16 CPU SGI Origin 2000), a step
which has already been completed.

In the account we are setting up, we have initially be allocated 8 GB
of disk space for "archiving" near realtime data from the IDD.
Archiving is in quotes since the mechanism for getting the majority of
data into the NCAR Mass Store involves NCAR getting tapes from NCDC on
a monthly basis.  Their archive will not contain IDD data per se, but
should contain all of the data in the IDD with the exception of the
imagery from the Unidata-Wisconsin datastream, and NIDS/NOWrad
products, and NLDN lightning data.

The long term goal of the cooperative project is the development of a
system that allows Unidata users to request data like the NCEP
reanalysis from the NCAR Mass Store.  What form this will take is part
the work for the project.

The reason I am writing to you is to develop an understanding of how you
have setup your systems to store the archived data that you make
available; how you allow users access to the data; and any comments on
the experience that you have had.  I see from David's survey that the
last item would probably be best answered after he hears from sites
using your archive.

We feel that your input is important to the success of this project.
Your input is needed!

I hope to hear to you soon...