Date: Monday, June 19, 2000 7:03 AM -0500
From: Kelvin Droegemeier <address@hidden>
To: address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden
Subject: Update

Dear colleagues,

Just a quick note to say that the NCDC is now ingesting real time WSR-88D
base data
from the 6 CRAFT radars in and around Oklahoma!  This is being done via the
commodity internet as a prelude to using Abilene.  As I gear up for my
sabbatical
and significantly more attention on CRAFT-2, we see an opportunity for
adding about
3 dozen radars to the present network.  We should thus begin to see
significant
progress in a few more weeks.  Also, about 6 weeks ago I briefed NOAA
director
Jim Baker on our progress and plans and he was very excited.  In fact, he
asked how
long it would take to wire the entire network.  So I believe we're on the
right track!

I'm hoping that NCEP can follow the NCDC's lead, and the good news is that
NOAA
is formally becoming a part of Abilene.  The timing couldn't be better!

More soon.

Sincerely,

Kelvin

Dr. Kelvin K. Droegemeier, Professor          E-mail: address@hidden
School of Meteorology                               Phone:  405-325-0453
Director, Center for Analysis and                FAX:    405-325-7614
Prediction of Storms                                 CEL:   405-413-7847

University of Oklahoma                              WWW:
http://parker.gcn.ou.edu/~kkd
Sarkeys Energy Center, Rm 1110
100 East Boyd Street
Norman, OK  73019  USA