Re: format,format and forever format (fwd)

Hi Tom,

The COMET case study library is designed to aid NWS forecast offices, and
educational and research institutions, to better predict large and or
anomolous events. We create these case studies with their visualisation
software in mind. This is why you see many GEMPAK and McIDAS formatted
data. The Sat imagery is all in McIDAS AREA files, as that is the native
format from the Space Science and Engineering Center at U of Wisc. The
WSR-88D emits data in the NIDS format and we deliver it also in its native
format. The modeled data we get from NCEP and maintain its native GRIB
format, and offer decoding on-the-fly to GEMPAK as that is the display
software of choice for the Universities and research institutes in our
couontry. We have been making cases available in netCDF as of case 20 for
the new NWS platforms (NAWIPS). The GEMPAK files are derived here for the
ship and buoy reports, airway obs, upper air data, and profiler data, so
that NWS and Universities can view them in our supported software
(GEMPAK).

There are many visualisation tools for weather data, we strive to maintain
the data in its native format so that most applications can handle the
data as the native format has been considered in many applications..i.e
wxp.

We do not have any GRIB/GEMPAK/McIDAS/NIDS to ASCII converters and I do
not know of any in existence. I do not know what visualisation software
you are currently using, but I suspect it should be able to handle at
least the GRIB and NIDS data, if not the McIDAS and GEMPAK.

We strive to make this data as user friendly as possible, but with the
multiple platforms, software packages, and numerous data formats it is
impossible to accomodate everyone.

A good venue to look for help is our decoder maillist, who knows someone
out there may be decoding to ASCII...

You must first enroll in the maillist to post, please see:

and follow the instructions to enroll in the decoders maillist.

Good luck and let me now if I can be of further assistance,

-Jeff