Re: 20000920: Problem loading CODIAC data on SAC

Mike,

Sorry to hear you are having difficulty extracting the case study.

I sounds like you received a bad tape. Could you please try extracting the
first tar file rather than fast-forwarding through it? If the tape is
still in the drive, you will probably have to rewind it:

mt -t /dev/rmt/0m rewind

and then just use the same command:

tar -xvf /dev/rmt/0mn

If you are able to extract the first file, try the command again to
extract the 2nd file. If the first file extracts OK, you are using the
correct command on the 2nd file, and you just have a bad tape. We can send
another to you.

If you get a tape error with the first file, could you please send the
message to me? We can then work on it from there.

Thanks,
Liz Page
__________________________
Elizabeth Mulvihill Page                address@hidden
NWS/OM Case Study Meteorologist
UCAR/COMET, PO Box 3000                     (303) 497 - 8369
Boulder, CO  80307-3000                 FAX (303) 497 - 8491

On Wed, 20 Sep 2000, Linda Miller wrote:

> Hi Mike,
>

> --On Wednesday, September 20, 2000 10:34 AM -0600 Unidata Support
> <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> >> To: address@hidden
> >> cc: David Gaede <address@hidden>
> >> From: "Mike Sutton" <address@hidden>
> >> Subject: Problem loading CODIAC data on SAC
> >
> > I am trying to load data from the December 6, 1995 event onto our SAC
> > (HP715).  I have used the mt -t command to advance the tape to the
> > second tar file, but when I try to untar the file, I get Tar tape error
> > (5) after about a minute.  I am using the following commands, running as
> > user gempak:
>
> You have probably checked the information available on:
>
> http://www.comet.ucar.edu/resources/cases/extract.html
>

> > mt -t /dev/rmt/0mn fsf 1
>
> Could it be that you have some additional spaces your string?
>  -t and the /dev/rmt/Omn fsf 1
>

> > tar -xvf /dev/rmt/0mn
>
> the same with this one?
>
> When I compare them with the Web page information, there seem to be extra
> spaces.
>

> Jeff Weber is currently on a much deserved vacation, and typically Ethan
> Davis
> would be here to respond in Jeff's absence, but he is on travel until
> Thursday
> afternoon.  I have copied Liz Page with your email, with hope that she can
> respond to the problem you are having.  I'm really sorry to ask you to wait.
> Thanks for your patience.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Linda
>

> > I have received the same results using /dev/rmt/0mnb and /dev/rmt/0m.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > ms
> >

> Linda Miller - address@hidden
> External Liaison, Unidata
> P.O. Box 3000
> Boulder, CO 80307-3000
> 303 497-8646 fax: 303-497-8690
>

>From address@hidden Thu Sep 21 01:25:21 2000
>To: Elizabeth Page <address@hidden>
>CC: Linda Miller <address@hidden>, address@hidden,
>   address@hidden, address@hidden,
>   Bob Rozumalski <address@hidden>,
>   Dolores Kiessling <address@hidden>, David Gaede <address@hidden>
>Subject: Re: 20000920: Problem loading CODIAC data on SAC

Liz,

I spent some time this morning trying to extract the files again, with
no luck.  I rewound the tape and extracted the documentation tar file
with no difficulty.  Unfortunately, when I tried to reissue the command
or forward the tape, I kept on extracting the documentation.  (This
included rewinding the tape and starting over at the beginning.)

Could this be a problem with the device file (/dev/rmt/0m vs.
/dev/rmt/0mnb)?

Could it be that I am trying to do this while working midnights? :)

Could we try another tape?

Thanks,
ms

P.S. Our address is
5805 West Highway EE
Springfield, MO 65802-8400

>From address@hidden Thu Sep 21 08:43:50 2000
>To: Mike Sutton <address@hidden>
>cc: Linda Miller <address@hidden>, address@hidden,
>   address@hidden, address@hidden,
>   Bob Rozumalski <address@hidden>,
>   Dolores Kiessling <address@hidden>, David Gaede <address@hidden>,
>   "Patrick O'Reilly" <address@hidden>
>Subject: Re: 20000920: Problem loading CODIAC data on SAC

Mike,

We'll send you another tape. Hopefully we'll have it in the mail today.
Liz