[AWIPS #IUD-228100]: difficulty installing phython-awips course material

Hi Jim,

> Running python-awips in VMWare did not go well.

> 1. I started CAVE. It showed a list of versions, see 'starting CAVE in
> VMWare.jpg' . I let it start
So, what you're seeing on that first screen is actually just the Virtual
Machine starting up. It is
starting an entire Linux machine (inside your current system).  Think of a
computer within your
computer.  This is normal and the first selection is fine.
CAVE is the actual forecasting program, which is installed in this VM, but you
have to run that after
you start the VM.  CAVE is separate from python-awips.  CAVE is a graphical
user interface, interactive
program.  Python-awips is the Python language API for accessing EDEX data.

> 2. signed in to CAVE
> 3. open the terminal and copied in the instructions that Tiffany had emailed
> me and ran them. See
> the pdf for what it said. Look at the last few lines which showed ERRORS
This output actually looks fine.  It's showing that jupyter started up on these
local addresses:

To access the notebook, open this file in a browser:
file:///home/awips/.local/share/jupyter/runtime/nbserver-3172-open.html
Or copy and paste one of these URLs:
http://localhost:8888/?token=565ca002c42e490019fca8d2347adbf22543b59c7e2d9b8a
or http://127.0.0.1:8888/?token=565ca002c42e490019fca8d2347adbf22543b59c7e2d9b8a

Usually it will open a new browser (should open firefox).

> 4. switched to 3rd tap which was jupyter and put in the instructions from the
> python-awips
> lesson. Clicked run and it showed another empty input line but no other
> action.

This sounds like it did open Firefox, with the notebook examples available.

What do you mean by "put in the instructions from the python-awips lesson"?
To use the notebooks, you can open one by double clicking, and then either
click into each
"cell" and run it by pressing the "Run" button at the top of the browser
window, or you
can go to the top menu bar > "Cell" > "Run All" (see my attached screenshot).

> The information displayed is so small inVMWare that I used my phone to take
> pictures and
> blow them up to read. Same problem when I tried AWIPS.

I think what might help, when you open the VM, after logging into the the awips
account, if
you minimize, or reduce the size of the screen, and then maximize again, it
should grow to
expand across the entire screen and be easier to read.

Also, in the browser you should be able to use the three bar menu on the right
and zoom in
there as well.

> On VMWare size: When I started it VMWare was a good size and filled screen.
> When I loaded
> CAVE, the CAVE window was about the size of a postage stamp. I found settings
> for the display
> and set it to the largest DPI. CAVE now is larger but does not fill the
> screen. The text is
> too small to comfortably read. I think VMWare/CAVE does not pass along the
> screen size or
> does not know what to do with it. I have not found a way around this.

Maybe you could send me one more screenshot of this? If you click on your
bottom start bar in
an empty space on the start bar, and then press the keys "window key (next to
alt) + shift + s"
You should then have four little buttons at the top of your screen, the one
second to the right
(next to the X button) will take a screenshot of your whole screen.  Then save
that, and you
can send it back to us.

It does sound like you're very close with python-awips at least.
Another thing that might be useful is to walk through this tutorial we created
to introduce
people to python-awips:
http://unidata.github.io/awips2/appendix/educational-resources/#python-awips-elearning-course

I totally understand your frustration and support you if you want to take a
break, but I do think
you're very close to using python-awips at the very least!

We're always here if/when you respond or open a new ticket.
Thanks.

--Shay Carter

She/Her/Hers
AWIPS Software Engineer
UCAR - Unidata

If you're interested, please feel free to fill out a survey about the support
you receive:
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeDIkdk8qUMgq8ZdM4jhP-ubJPUOr-mJMQgxInwoAWoV5QcOw/viewform

Ticket ID: IUD-228100
Department: Support AWIPS