[AWIPS #IUD-228100]: difficulty installing phython-awips course material

Hi Jim,

I'm not sure if you're responding in a separate color or not, but unfortunately
our email
client does not show us colors.  If you are going to respond in line, please
use a new
line and do not use ">" at the beginning, because it makes it difficult for us
to see where
you're responding.

After reading your responses about python-awips:
>> Please let me know if that seems to make any difference?
> No. I've found that there is no server program so locahost can't run. I've
> insalled Apache
> & when I get to it I'll reinstall Phython-WAIPS. jupyter loads & goes to list
> & Phythin-WAIPS
> is not there.  Basic home windows computer does not come with server
> installed. I just tried
> to acess localhost & it did not connect. Apache was not runnig. Tried
> starting it & if failed.
> More to learn & figure out.  It will take me awile. That is OK as I'm not
> desperate to get to
> it. Enjoying AWIPS.

I'm glad you're enjoying awips.  I'm still very confused about the process
you're trying to do
to run python-awips though.  You should not need to run any apache client or
server.
If you are able to install conda, you should then have access to an Anaconda
Prompt terminal.
From within there, you can go to the directory where you did the git clone of
our source code
(git clone https://github.com/Unidata/python-awips.git)
From there you should be able to run the following commands in the anaconda
terminal:
cd python-awips
conda env create -f environment.yml
conda activate python3-awips
python setup.py install --force
jupyter notebook examples

Note: the `conda env create` command can take a while to run.

Once you've activated the environment, you should be able to run the setup.py,
which gives you
access to the python-awips code, and then running `jupyter notebook examples`
will start up
the notebooks and open a browser.  It should stay running for as long as you
have that terminal
open.

I'm sorry it has been so troublesome, but if you no longer wish to work on
resolving the issue
right now, I understand.
Thanks.

--Shay Carter

She/Her/Hers
AWIPS Software Engineer
UCAR - Unidata

If you're interested, please feel free to fill out a survey about the support
you receive:
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeDIkdk8qUMgq8ZdM4jhP-ubJPUOr-mJMQgxInwoAWoV5QcOw/viewform

Ticket ID: IUD-228100
Department: Support AWIPS