[AWIPS #LJS-519939]: AWIPS Functionality and Imaging Glitch

> Hi Tiffany,
>
> Thanks for your suggestions. I removed the caveData from my home directory
> and restarted AWIPS using the updated localization (OAX). I can tell the
> settings were removed as it took a bit longer for AWIPS to load and the
> screen loaded as a 1 pane layout instead of my default 5 panes.
>
> That said, I'm stuck with the same problem. Some of the variables like
> temperature and wind speed are loading fine as images. The contours match the
> color bar for image products, which match the values using the sampling tool .
>
> Other variables like mixing ratio, specific humidity, and precipitation are
> still not correct. The line contours look reasonable and the values from the
> sampling tool with the image loaded match the contours. The color bar for
> precipitation contains entirely different values than what are shown for the
> line contours or sampling. The shading itself looks fine; it's simply a
> mismatch of values. I've uploaded some screenshots for reference. For
> example, the sample tool reads 0.40" over SE Quebec but the color bar shows
> saturated purple at 5+ inches.
>
> https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1NfyX9RuTSLL065qwzP-ptbE2K_5SyXoX?usp=sharing
>
> I did some testing by changing the minimum values for the colormap range with
> a problematic field like mixing ratio. The default produces a wild image that
> doesn't correspond to the color bar at all. If I increase the minimum, I can
> get things that start to look better. There's a sequence of interesting
> screenshots for 850 mb mixing ratio are in the same Drive folder.
>
> Do you have any thoughts on what to try next?
>
> Best,
>
> Justin
>
> P.S. I am having a very difficult time sending e-mail to this address. It is
> taking multiple attempts to send this as I'm getting failed delivery attempts
> notification when messaging the support-awips address as it says my message
> is flagged as spam. Is this something on UCAR's end?

Hello,

What's interesting, is it's the colormaps that are logarithmic that are not
displaying correctly and the linear ones are. This is all legacy code that
hasn't been modified/touched and I'm not sure what would cause the discrepancy.

Can you run the following commands and give us the output:

python --version
which python

Also, possibly tar up your caveData directory and upload that to google drive?
We might be able to look at some of the configs/logs there that could help us.

Are you currently running the CAVE display remotely at all (ex. via VNC or
noMachine) or sitting down at the monitor? What graphics card are you using? As
a test, could you try running our VM on your RH machine and see if that shows
the same issue?

Thanks,

Tiffany Meyer
AWIPS Lead Software Engineer
UCAR-Unidata

If you're interested, please feel free to fill out a survey about the support
you receive:
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeDIkdk8qUMgq8ZdM4jhP-ubJPUOr-mJMQgxInwoAWoV5QcOw/viewform

Ticket ID: LJS-519939
Department: Support AWIPS