[AWIPS #IUD-228100]: difficulty installing phython-awips course material

Hi there,

Sorry about the delayed response, we were out of office for most of the
holidays.

> After some searching I found git install and did that everything started
> working. Also had
> to install jupyter notebook after that it was installed and it asked what
> browser to use
> so I picked the one that I use and the notebook opened. I started looking
> around and then
> it said the local host not connecting. I tried the
> file:///C:/Users/Jim%20Erickson/AppData/Roaming/jupyter/runtime/nbserver-1596-open.html
> it opened once but latter it did not so I tried
> http://localhost:8888/?token=45e658e2466a3b6c579b2946fcb16d1d6e304f97c7d1cb05
> and that didn't work either.
>
> Any idea where to go from here?

Yes, git (as well as conda and python3) are prerequisites for running
python-awips, as listed
on our website:
http://unidata.github.io/python-awips/#pre-requisite-software

I'm glad you were able to get git installed.

If you had done the "Source Code with Examples Install"
(http://unidata.github.io/python-awips/#source-code-with-examples-install)
it will automatically install Jupyter and Jupyter Notebook.

I would highly recommend doing this installation if you haven't, because it
creates a conda
environment explicitly for python-awips which won't clutter any other python
environment you
might want to use.  In order to do this installation, you'll need to install
conda though.
(https://docs.conda.io/projects/conda/en/latest/user-guide/install/index.html).

How are you using jupyter notebook (where did you get the prompt about which
browser)?
Which OS are you using?  Which browser did you end up using by default?
I've only ever run jupyter notebook via the command line, and it has always
kicked off a
browser to view and use the notebooks in it.  It also lists a url, which might
be similar
to the local host one you listed above.  The first url you posted is using
nbserver, which
shouldn't be necessary if you're using notebook properly with our examples
installed locally.

Please let me know if you've tried the "Source Code with Examples Install"
(http://unidata.github.io/python-awips/#source-code-with-examples-install)
steps and see if
that resolves the issues you're seeing?

Thank you!
--Shay Carter

She/Her/Hers
AWIPS Software Engineer
UCAR - Unidata

If you're interested, please feel free to fill out a survey about the support
you receive:
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeDIkdk8qUMgq8ZdM4jhP-ubJPUOr-mJMQgxInwoAWoV5QcOw/viewform

Ticket ID: IUD-228100
Department: Support AWIPS