[AWIPS #ADH-803924]: AWIPS Upgrade

Hi there,

> A number of months ago in an email there was talk of an AWIPS upgrade, is
> that still in the works?

Yes!  The AWIPS team is currently working on porting a new v20 from NWS over to
the Unidata distribution
and we're hoping to have a beta out before the end of this year.

Unfortunately, the jump in major versions (18, 19, 20, etc) is a significant
undertaking, and the main
developer who managed AWIPS previously, passed unexpectedly before the new
AWIPS team was hired.  We're
hoping to learn a lot during this transition, so hopefully major version
upgrades in the future will be
a bit faster.

We appreciate your patience and understanding.

--Shay Carter

She/Her/Hers
AWIPS Software Engineer
UCAR - Unidata

If you're interested, please feel free to fill out a survey about the support
you receive:
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeDIkdk8qUMgq8ZdM4jhP-ubJPUOr-mJMQgxInwoAWoV5QcOw/viewform

Ticket ID: ADH-803924
Department: Support AWIPS