[AWIPS #FRQ-918024]: add WRF to EDEX

Hi David,

> I run a WRF model and would like to make it available my students and faculty
> by having it
> on our EDEX server. All the documentation I have seen refers to adding grib
> files to the
> EDEX server but WRF of course uses its version of netCDF. How can I add the
> WRF netCDF to
> my EDEX server and make it available?
> Thanks!

I will have to confirm exactly with my colleague when she's back in the office
later this
week, but I'm not sure this can be done easily.  I think EDEX does currently
ingest some
netCDF products (some satellite products), but I doubt your netCDF files will
be in a
format similar enough to make use of one of those existing plugins.

So, the only way to get that data into EDEX would be to write your own plugin
(Java and
xml programming), which is a non-trivial task.  The other option would be to
try and convert
or produce the WRF data in grib format.

I don't know a lot about WRF data, but searching around, I was able to find
some documentation:
https://www.researchgate.net/post/WRF_output_in_grib2_format

That mentioned you *can* produce the output in grib format...
  For GRIB2 format, in namelist.input, you can set io_form_history to 10.
  io_form_history:
  The output format in which the history file (wrfout_d0*) will be written
  Available Options:
  2 = netCDF (default; recommended)
  1 = binary format (no supported post-processing software available)
  4 = PHDF5 format (no supported post-processing software available)
  5 = GRIB1 format
  10 = GRIB2 format
  11 = parallel netCDF format
  102 = split netCDF (no supported post-processing software available)

I'm not sure if that's something you could feasibly do, but having the output
in grib format
would be the easiest way to get it ingested into an EDEX server.

Let me know if this is helpful at all, and I will let you know if I found out
anything further.
Thanks.

--Shay Carter

She/Her/Hers
AWIPS Software Engineer
UCAR - Unidata

If you're interested, please feel free to fill out a survey about the support
you receive:
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeDIkdk8qUMgq8ZdM4jhP-ubJPUOr-mJMQgxInwoAWoV5QcOw/viewform

Ticket ID: FRQ-918024
Department: Support AWIPS