[AWIPS #IUQ-509269]: AWIPS question sent to Unidata Contact Form

Hello!

You submitted the following question on Unidata's "Contact Me" web
form yesterday:

> From: Michael Nagle (address@hidden)
> Date: 9/12/2022
>
> Yes i wonder if you could help me. I am a meteorologist and am retired
> after 42 years of forecasting. I'm interested in using AWIPS software
> to keep up with my forecasting even though i no longer forecast for
> any city or companies anymore. One question i have is that I have a
> 12' satellite dish/C Band and can receive the NWS signal from Galaxy
> 28 and realize they will be changing the signal to Galaxy 31 by
> January of 2023. Your Awips software will i be able to send the signal
> from my NOVRA 300 receiver into the software or is it only used in
> conjunction with the internet?

I'm not certain what would be involved in ingesting data from your
NOVRA into a local EDEX server for use with the AWIPS CAVE client, so
I am forwarding your question to our AWIPS development team at
address@hidden. My initial reaction, however, is that
you may find it useful to connect to Unidata's cloud-based EDEX server
rather than setting up your own. (You may be interested in specific
data available only via your receiver, so this may not work for you.)
I would suggest familiarizing yourself with the material on Unidata's
AWIPS page (https://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/awips2/) if you have
not done so already.

Thanks for your interest!
Doug Dirks

​--
Douglas Dirks (He/Him)
Unidata Community Services
address@hidden  *  303-497-8657  *  U.S. Mountain Time Zone

I acknowledge that the land I live and work on is the Traditional Territory of
the Arapaho, Cheyenne, and Ute. Colorado's Front Range is a contemporary and
traditional site of trade and gathering for many Indigenous people.