[AWIPS #QSS-755577]: Question Regarding AWIPS

> Thank you for your email. To answer your questions, this is the first time
> that I have installed CAVE on these machines. I can load other products when
> using UNIDATA's EDEX (such as satellite imagery, all NEXRAD imagery, model
> runs, NSHARP soundings, synoptic plots, etc.); however, when I attempt to
> load upper air data or wind vectors, I receive a "error making point data
> request", as shown in the screen shot.
>
> As for the user, the error appears whether as the root or guest, and my shell
> is
> /bin/bash

Hello,

Good to know you are able to plot other datasets!

Couple things, it's not recommended to run CAVE as the root user and it's not
recommended to ssh or su (switch users) because the user environment variables
are important to maintain (specifically for python and java). If possible use
the awips user to run CAVE (this user gets created during CAVE install - no
password is created, so you may have to create one via root, then login using
the awips user). Or modify the guest user's environment variables:

LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/awips2/psql/lib:/awips2/postgresql/lib:/awips2/python/lib

PATH=/awips2/psql/bin:/awips2/postgresql/bin:/awips2/python/bin:/awips2/java/bin:/awips2/hdf5/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/bin:/sbin:/home/awips/.local/bin:/home/awips/bin

JAVA_HOME=/awips2/java

Another easy way to test, is to type which python and make sure it's pointing
at /awips2/python/bin/python

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeDIkdk8qUMgq8ZdM4jhP-ubJPUOr-mJMQgxInwoAWoV5QcOw/viewform

Ticket ID: QSS-755577
Department: Support AWIPS