[AWIPS #TBE-634515]: Help with contour style rules

Hello,

Thanks for reaching out to us. I believe in one of the 19.* Raytheon builds
they updated some of the contour styleRules to have more functionality, like
you mentioned. Currently we are running an older version of AWIPS (18.2.1 with
some newer updates), but it does not include that functionality. However, we
are currently working on a 20.3.2 release which the new contour functionality
will be part of (just tested it!). We don't have an exact timing on when our
next release will be, but hopefully we'll have a beta version by the end of the
year.

> Hello,
>
> I’m not sure if this is the place to report possible bugs. If it is not the
> place or not actually a bug, I apologize.
>
> I discovered this resource from NOAA regarding manipulating contour style
> rules. https://vlab.noaa.gov/web/oclo/custom-contouring
>
> Through an internship this past summer, I had access to Raytheon’s build of
> AWIPS at the NWS office in St. Louis. On their build, I was able to go into
> the d2dContourStyleRules.xml file in the Localization Perspective and
> manipulate the style rules for windspeed to produce contours that went from
> green to yellow to red with increasing windspeed. When I tried to replicate
> this in the Unidata build, the same code that worked on the NWS build (see
> below) did not change the color,  linestyle, or thickness of the contours.
>
> <styleRule>
> <paramLevelMatches>
> <parameter>geoWM</parameter>
> <parameter>wSp</parameter>
> <parameter>wSp_avg</parameter>
> <parameter>WGS</parameter>
> </paramLevelMatches>
> <contourStyle>
> <displayUnits>kts</displayUnits>
> <contourLabeling labelSpacing="4">
> <increment color="yellow" lineStyle="LONG_DASHED" max="50">10</increment>
> <increment color="green" lineStyle="LONG_DASH_THREE_SHORT_DASHES"
> thickness="1" min="50" max="80">10</increment>??????
> <increment color="red" lineStyle="LONG_DASH_THREE_SHORT_DASHES" thickness="1"
> min="80">10</increment>
> </contourLabeling>
> </contourStyle>
> </styleRule>
>
> If this is not a bug, it could be a cool feature to add in a future update to
> coincide with Raytheon’s build.
>
> Thank you for your time,

Thanks,

Tiffany Meyer
AWIPS Lead Software Engineer
UCAR-Unidata

If you're interested, please feel free to fill out a survey about the support
you receive:
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeDIkdk8qUMgq8ZdM4jhP-ubJPUOr-mJMQgxInwoAWoV5QcOw/viewform

Ticket ID: TBE-634515
Department: Support AWIPS