[AWIPS #WCV-509365]: EDEX install question - leftover "rpms" dir

Hi Pete,

Everything in /awips2 should be owned by awips:Fxalpha, so I would run:

sudo chown -R awips:fxalpha /awips2

The next time the updateNDM.pl script runs, it should write correctly.

As for why it didn't set the permissions correct from the script, I'm not
exactly sure, but for now manually changing ownership should work.

> Ok I traced the issue down to a permissions error because /awips2/dev has
> root as its owner and group which is fixable but   I haven’t changed it yet
> because of the question I have in the third detail below.
>
> Here are the details
>
> 1.    cron job  DOES exist        30 3 * * * /bin/perl
> /awips2/dev/updateNDM.pl >>/awips2/dev/logs/updateNDM.log 2>&1
>
> 2.    updateNDM.log is dated today (so it is running in cron) but shows
> multiple  " mkdir: cannot create directory ‘/awips2/dev/ndm’: Permission
> denied"  and "sh: line 0: cd: /awips2/dev/ndm: No such file or directory"
> and therefore many other cascading errors due to this dependency that failed.
>   So this is fixable by changing the permission of that directory --- but it
> begs the question why didn’t the install script change the permission of this
> directory.  And speaking of which there are two other directories that are
> still owned by root....
>
> 3.    A list of /awips2 shows only the directories    data    database   and
> dev   have  owner and group  as root (see below).   If you recall we ran the
> install script as root instead of sudo (you and Shay helped me with this
> install on line the week before last).  The question I have is should these 3
> directories be owned by root or awips2 and if so why wouldn’t the install
> script change the permission as such?
> drwxr-xr-x 10 awips fxalpha 4096 Aug 24 10:49 cave
> lrwxrwxrwx  1 root  root      21 Aug 18 13:59 data -> /awips2/database/data
> drwxr-xr-x  7 root  root      85 Aug 18 13:59 database
> drwx------  9 awips fxalpha  101 Aug 18 16:17 data_store
> drwxr-xr-x  3 root  root      38 Aug 18 14:00 dev
> drwxr-xr-x  9 awips fxalpha   90 Aug 18 14:00 edex
> drwxr-xr-x  4 awips fxalpha   28 Aug 18 14:00 hdf5
> drwxr-xr-x  5 awips fxalpha   39 Aug 18 14:00 httpd_pypies
> drwxr-xr-x  9 awips fxalpha 4096 Aug 18 13:59 java
> drwxr-xr-x  8 awips fxalpha  252 Aug 18 15:51 ldm
> drwxr-xr-x  7 awips fxalpha   72 Aug 18 13:59 postgresql
> drwxr-xr-x  4 awips fxalpha   28 Aug 18 13:59 psql
> drwxr-xr-x  4 awips fxalpha   30 Aug 18 14:00 pypies
> drwxr-xr-x  7 awips fxalpha   72 Aug 18 13:59 python
> drwxr-xr-x 10 awips fxalpha  235 Aug 18 15:51 qpid
> drwx------  3 awips fxalpha   26 Aug 18 15:51 tmp
> drwxr-xr-x  4 awips fxalpha   33 Aug 18 14:07 tools
> drwxr-xr-x  4 awips fxalpha   92 Aug 18 13:59 yajsw

Thanks,

Tiffany Meyer
AWIPS Lead Software Engineer
UCAR-Unidata

If you're interested, please feel free to fill out a survey about the support
you receive:
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeDIkdk8qUMgq8ZdM4jhP-ubJPUOr-mJMQgxInwoAWoV5QcOw/viewform

Ticket ID: WCV-509365
Department: Support AWIPS