[AWIPS #XWV-841508]: Warngen suggestion

Hi there,

> I have been browsing the awips support mailing list, and I have noticed
> several requests for the "send" button in warngen. I understand why it was
> removed, and I think that is a good idea to prevent people from possibly
> sending warnings. However, I myself do agree that there should be some way
> to allow use of update statements for warnings.
>
> My suggestion is would it be at all possible to allow for saving of the
> warnings without going upstream to the EDEX server (i.e. a temporary cache
> file within the user's CaveData folder) that will then allow for the
> warning to be updated via the update list? If this suggestion is not
> possible, then I completely understand. I just thought I would share it
> with you. Thanks!

One of the main reasons we do not allow the ability to "send" (or save)
Warnings from Warngen is because we can't run the safety risk of people
potentially distributing their created warnings as official National
Weather Service products.

So, while your suggestion would mitigate the issue of warnings saved to our
server showing up for everyone, it still allows for the chance that
someone might try and distribute their "fake" warning as a real one, and
that is something we want to prevent from happening.

Thanks.

--Shay Carter

She/Her/Hers
AWIPS Software Engineer
UCAR - Unidata

If you're interested, please feel free to fill out a survey about the support
you receive:
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeDIkdk8qUMgq8ZdM4jhP-ubJPUOr-mJMQgxInwoAWoV5QcOw/viewform

Ticket ID: XWV-841508
Department: Support AWIPS