[AWIPS #VEC-710057]: AWIPS Python Data Envelope

Hi Justin,

> For satellite imagery, the geometry envelope constraint appears to work
> using the Unidata edex server. My previous test used my local server and
> that is where I ran into the thrift error. Locally, I am running v20.3, but
> am still using the anaconda unidata v18 python daf. I am wondering if this
> may be causing my issue due either to changing code, or SSL requirements in
> the newer build. I'll try upgrading my local python daf and see if this may
> resolve the issue.

Okay, that's good to know it works with our (Unidata's) current DAF and EDEX.
There could
potentially be many different issues trying to use our DAF with an NWS v20
EDEX.  As a rule
of thumb, there is no guaranteed compatibility across any different versions of
CAVE/EDEX
and python-awips to interact with each other.
Let us know if you are able to use the latest NWS DAF and if that works
successfully with
the v20 EDEX you're running?

> Below is the execution time of the script for the smaller domain and larger
> domain using ECONUS, CH-13-10.35um. The processing of the larger domain
> seems like it is really two fold, you have the larger edex request which
> takes extra time to pull, and then you have the extra resources needed to
> convert the data to an image.
>
> *Bounded Region One [-130, -65, 15, 55]*: *107.103183985 seconds*.
> *Bounded Region Two [-85, -75, 20, 30]*: *58.0140180588 seconds*.
>
> This will come in quite handy when working with Full Disk images...
> especially Channel 2.

Yes, the reduced wait times you're seeing are significant which is great!
Hopefully that
can help speed up and optimize whatever you're trying to do with the images.
Thanks for trying this out and letting us know the results!

--Shay Carter

She/Her/Hers
AWIPS Software Engineer
UCAR - Unidata

If you're interested, please feel free to fill out a survey about the support
you receive:
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeDIkdk8qUMgq8ZdM4jhP-ubJPUOr-mJMQgxInwoAWoV5QcOw/viewform

Ticket ID: VEC-710057
Department: Support AWIPS