[AWIPS #VEC-710057]: AWIPS Python Data Envelope

Hi Justin,

> In the latest blog post about plotting WWA, you set up an envelope for the
> warning geometry.
> Can the envelope be set up to define the data region of interest (i.e.
> lats/lons)?

Yes, you should be able to define your area of interest using an envelope.  The
beginning of this
blog post talks a little bit more about exactly what order and format (deg N,
deg E) the lat, lon
definitions are expected:
https://www.unidata.ucar.edu/blogs/news/entry/awips-tips-create-a-colored
This is referring to our colorized surface obs notebook:
https://unidata.github.io/python-awips/examples/generated/Colored_Surface_Temperature_Plot.html#geographic-filter

> This question is particularly of interest for visible satellite imagery,
> where it would be
> preferable to only request the box of interest, rather than pull the entire
> data set and then
> crop it through mapping. Previously, we ran into a request memory issue
> because the data set
> is so big for Full Disk, but I only need a slice of it.

This is a really interesting question!  My initial inclination is the
python-awips data access
framework (DAF) may only support full resolution data requests, but I
definitely think CAVE (and
therefore EDEX) supports subset full resolution requests.  So, I'd like to ask
you to experiment
with it if you're interested?  Change the bounding box (envelope) to something
you want (you could
also test around with this in the surface obs notebook, because it will pull
the data back quicker
and you could confirm it is the area you're interested in), and then use that
envelope to request
full disc imagery.
I still think, possibly, python-awips will pull back the entire image, but I'm
open to being
pleasantly surprised.  If it doesn't work, we could potentially look into
adding that functionality.

Thanks!

--Shay Carter

She/Her/Hers
AWIPS Software Engineer
UCAR - Unidata

If you're interested, please feel free to fill out a survey about the support
you receive:
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeDIkdk8qUMgq8ZdM4jhP-ubJPUOr-mJMQgxInwoAWoV5QcOw/viewform