[AWIPS #CWJ-540985]: grb2 decode question.

> [...]
> available in the grib2 files off the noaa server - we create it after we pull
> a model's grib2 files)
>
> 1. The python code used can only create new grib fields using WMO recognized
> names so we call it GUST -- see the attached file.  Note that the center,
> subcenter, etc are all defined properly.   The center = 7, subcenter = 0,
> Category (parmcat) =2, Param ID = 22
>
> 2. To allow EDEX to see it as a name we want to call it "GSTF" (instead of
> GUST) we edited the local table
> /awips2/edex/data/utility/common_static/base/grib/tables/7/0/4.2.0.2.table
> and added a line 22:22:Momentum Xfer Lyr Avg:m/s:GSTF
>
> 3. Because the navigation of this grib field is over our local domain
> (OH/PA/WV/MD/NJ at a .25 deg resolution (because it is derived from the 0.25
> deg GFS model) and is a lat-lon grid with an nx  of 48 and ny of 23 it had to
> have its own model definition "block" inserted
> Into
> /awips2/edex/data/utility/common/_static/base/grib/models/gribModels_NCEP-7.xml
>    as follows -- note we elected to call the name GFSFEGUST for fun and the
> gridname "4823" comes from nx ny.
> <model>
> <name>GFSFEGUST</name>
> <center>7</center>
> <subcenter>0</subcenter>
> <grid>4823</grid>
> <process>
> <id>128</id>
> </process>
> </model>
>
> 4. After editing this file we successfully restarted EDEX's grib ingest
> module  (as user awips) by executing the command  sudo service edex_camel
> restart ingestGrib
>
> 5. After copying the attached file into /awips2/data_store/ingest/   we saw
> in the log /awips2/edex/logs/edex-ingestGrib-20220427.log that it was indeed
> processed
> INFO  2022-04-27 19:26:24,065 2876 [GribPersist-1] Ingest: EDEX: Ingest -
> grib2:: /awips2/data_store/manual/grib/20220427/19/test.grib2 processed in:
> 0.2610 (sec) Latency: 0.2820 (sec)
> INFO  2022-04-27 19:26:24,071 2877 [GribPersist-3] Ingest: EDEX: Ingest -
> grib2:: /awips2/data_store/manual/grib/20220427/19/test.grib2 processed in:
> 0.2700 (sec) Latency: 0.2920 (sec)
>
> 6. And correspondingly see in
> /awips2/edex/data/hd5/grid/GRIBModel:7:0:128/SFC/GribModel:7:0:128-2022-04-27-00-FH-000.h5
>  (with a date/time stamp of April 27 15:26)
>
> So we see it got processed - but how do we view it since its not evident to
> display in the Volume Browser ?
>
> We tried deleting caveData dir and restarting CAVE to see if the Volume
> Browser dynamically reads the hdf5 directory but it seems like that is not
> the case.
>
> We suspect we have to configure the Volume Browser Menu for it to understand
> GFSFEGUST (the name we supplied it in the model definition file).   But we
> are not sure that is "all" we need to do next.

Hi,

My first question is whether or not you created a new grid projection file (in
/awips2/edex/data/utility/common_static/base/grib/grids/). The reason I ask is,
you didn't mention it in your steps, and also the path in your HDF5 directory
shows "GribModel:7:0:128" instead of GFSFEGUST. Even if you make the changes
below, the data won't load because it's not being stored as your model name,
but once you make that change it should work.

For the data to show up in the Volume Browser, you will have to manually add
the model and product. Unfortunately these files reside on the CAVE side, but I
think you only use one site/localization right? So we can do a manual override
of the files so they can sit on EDEX. (I think you have both CAVE and EDEX
installed on the same machine, so this should be easy)

To add "GFSFEGUST" to the volume source, on your EDEX machine:

- create the directory structure (where [XXX] is the site/localization that you
use)
mkdir -p
/awips2/edex/data/utility/cave_static/site/[XXX]/volumebrowser/VbSources

- copy the file from CAVE to the new location
cp /awips2/cave/etc/volumebrowser/VbSources/volume.xml
/awips2/edex/data/utility/cave_static/site/[XXX]/volumebrowser/VbSources

- edit the volume.xml file
vi
/awips2/edex/data/utility/cave_static/site/[XXX]/volumebrowser/VbSources/volume.xml

- add your new model name
    <vbSource key="GFSFEGUST" category="Volume" />

Now for the product:

- create the directory structure (where [XXX] is the site/localization you use)
mkdir -p
/awips2/edex/data/utility/cave_static/site/OAX/menus/volumebrowser/fields/planview-timeseries

- copy the file from CAVE to the new location
cp
/awips2/edex/data/utility/cave_static/site/OAX/menus/volumebrowser/fields/planview-timeseries/

- edit the misc.xml file
vi
/awips2/edex/data/utility/cave_static/site/OAX/menus/volumebrowser/fields/planview-timeseries/misc.xml

- add your new product
    <contribute xsi:type="menuItem" menuText="GSTF" key="GSTF"
indentText="false" />

I was able to run these steps on a local EDEX we have running here and able to
load your product from the volume browser!

Once you get it in here, you can think about if you want to modify the
colorbar/legend.

Thanks,

Tiffany Meyer
AWIPS Lead Software Engineer
UCAR-Unidata

If you're interested, please feel free to fill out a survey about the support
you receive:
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeDIkdk8qUMgq8ZdM4jhP-ubJPUOr-mJMQgxInwoAWoV5QcOw/viewform

Ticket ID: CWJ-540985
Department: Support AWIPS