[AWIPS #CWJ-540985]: grb2 decode question.

> HI Shay - just to be clear "the local grib table" is specific for wgrib2 --
> not EDEX.
>
> The file was called pete_grib2table and we had to set the env var GRIBTABLE
> to point to it so wgrib2 new how to process this parameter (recall from my
> email we did some grib  math using wgrib2 to create the grib2 file containing
> GSTF). The results were stored in a grib file called test.grb2 (which
> contained one field GSTF). It contains one line
0:1:0:255:0:0:2:22:GSTF:Wind Speed (Gust):m/s

> Then to allow EDEX to decode test.grb2 properly we edited the file
> /awips2/edex/data/utility/common_static/base/grib/tables/7/0/4.2.0.2.table
> and added a line
> 22:22:Momentum Xfer Lyr Avg:m/s:GSTF
>
> We edited this file because
> Center = 7
> Subcenter = 0
> Discipline = 0
> Category = 2
>
> Remember, test.grb2 was calculated using a gfs 0.25 grib2 file so all the
> navigation and valid times were borrowed from that grid and applied
> automatically by wgrib2 in the calculations -- so we didn’t need to modify
> any other EDEX files.
>
> Finally we restarted edex_camel

Hi Pete,

Thanks for the clarification - we weren't exactly sure what you were trying to
do. A couple things, I think we want to be careful about re-using parameter 22
since that is used for Wind Speed Gust for many other models as well and you
could run into issues down the line. Typically 192-254 are reserved for more
"local" use parameters.

My suggestion would be to first use a different parameter when creating the new
local grib file (it looks like in your EDEX table parameters 192-224 are being
used), so how about using parameter 225?

Then modify your EDEX table - same as you had, except change the parameter to
225 again here.

You may have to add a new entry in:
/awips2/edex/data/utility/common_static/base/parameter/definition/parameters.xml

<parameter>
    <name>[whatever the full name is]</name>
    <abbreviation>GSTF</abbreviation>
    <unit>[the unit]</unit>
  </parameter>

Restart EDEX (You may want to clear out your databases since you've made quite
a few changes to be able to tell exactly what the new changes are)

Test to see if it shows up in both the PRODUCT and VOLUME browser this way.
There might be one more config file we need to change to have it show up in the
Volume Browser.

Do you have a copy of your new local grib2 file (with the updated parameter)
and we could test it on our end as well?

Thanks,

Tiffany Meyer
AWIPS Lead Software Engineer
UCAR-Unidata

If you're interested, please feel free to fill out a survey about the support
you receive:
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeDIkdk8qUMgq8ZdM4jhP-ubJPUOr-mJMQgxInwoAWoV5QcOw/viewform

Ticket ID: CWJ-540985
Department: Support AWIPS