[AWIPS #APZ-232896]: Windows Install

Hi Jesse,

> Thank you Shay for all the help. I think you are right in the issue is
> probably
> connected with Anaconda since that is a difference between other machines
> you've
> done. And you are correct in I don't really want to uninstall Anaconda
> because
> I do have other programs that use python from there. The virtual linux machine
> that runs CAVE works perfectly.

Okay, hopefully the VM install can continue to meet your needs.

> I might be overambitious when it comes to this so feel free to knock me down
> haha, but I've read on your site about administering my own EDEX server. I do
> have several questions about that.

No worries, this is what we're here for so it never hurts to ask!

> Can you run Cave and EDEX on the same linux machine?

Yes.
This is not something you'd want to do if you want to pull *a lot* of data and
ingest it into your EDEX though.

> If I were to set up my own EDEX on our network would it still have to be
> connected to your site somewhere or where would our EDEX server download the
> data?

If you set up your own EDEX, you would modify it to specify which data you want
to receive (using configuration files in the LDM), and we could help you with
that.  Then your EDEX machine would receive data via the LDM from Unidata's
upstream distribution.  If you were setting this up at Nebraska on a machine
with
a .edu name, then you wouldn't need to do anything extra to start receiving the
data.  If you wanted to do this on a personal machine, however, there are
restrictions and we may or may not be able to accommodate those.
Once your machine gets the data via LDM, it pushes it to EDEX and EDEX will
then decode and ingest it, and the data will be available to CAVE or
python-awips
connections.

> You mentioned some earlier about configuring the GFE on the EDEX server side,
> is that something I could configure if I set up my own?

Possibly.  Although the files that are required only exist at the NWS offices
themselves.  So you would have to get some kind of contact or have some kind of
relationship in order to get the files that would be necessary to make the GFE
work at that NWO in your AWIPS.

> What I am after is being able to create a forecast that could be downloaded
> like the NDFD and manipulate other ways such as a severity index. Or being
> able to download the Hazard Maps created in GFE that would make our job of
> alerting drivers easier.

I am not exactly familiar with the GFE and how forecasters use it, so I can't
give any direct guidance on accomplishing this task.  But I could talk to
some of my colleagues, if you are serious about pursuing setting up your own
EDEX.

> I know I've asked a lot of questions recently but I do appreciate everything!

Again, don't worry about it!  This is what we're hear for.  Glad to help in
any way we can.

Let me know if you have more questions about your own EDEX.  And if you wouldn't
mind clarifying if this would be for your own personal use, or set up at the
school somewhere?
Thanks!

--Shay Carter

She/Her/Hers
AWIPS Software Engineer
UCAR - Unidata

If you're interested, please feel free to fill out a survey about the support
you receive:
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeDIkdk8qUMgq8ZdM4jhP-ubJPUOr-mJMQgxInwoAWoV5QcOw/viewform

Ticket ID: APZ-232896
Department: Support AWIPS