[AWIPS #RMV-424206]: snow squall warnings on EDEX server?

Hi Russ,

> I use the Unidata EDEX server and python-awips to pull NWS watch/warning
> polygons,
> essentially following this example (with a > few of my own modifications):
> http://unidata.github.io/python-awips/examples/generated/Watch_and_Warning_Polygons.html

> However, I happened to notice yesterday that when several snow squall
> warnings were in
> effect, they didn’t seem to come through on the EDEX server. (All of the
> other types of
> warnings, like high wind warnings, etc., were there.) I wonder if, because
> those are
> still a relatively new kind of warning, if some modification needs to be made
> to bring
> those into the EDEX server and/or serve them out? Attached is an example of
> what the
> warning text looks like – the NWS abbreviation is “SQ.W”.

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. Snow squall warnings are not
supported in
our current release of AWIPS.  We are actually putting out a new release very
soon, and
have added support for these warnings in CAVE. I have to make a slight
modification to our
distribution of python-awips in order for it to be supported on the python side
of things.
If you wanted to make a change locally, I think you could get your notebook
working again.

I can't exactly test it right now, because I can't seem to find any recent SQ.W
warnings,
but I believe if you modify this file, it should run right.  The location of
the file
depends on how you've set up your python environment though.  The file you're
looking for
exists in a folder called awips and the file is called tables.py:
  awips/tables.py
For me, I have a miniconda environment set up so it exists in the
environment-specific
folder which looks like (and I am on a mac):
/Users/[my
user]/opt/miniconda3/envs/python3-awips/lib/python3.9/site-packages/python_awips-18.1.7-py3.9.egg/awips/

The trick is to find the installation of python you're using, and then find the
"site-packages"
sub directory, and then I believe you'll be in the right place.
This is a table which tells python-awips what color and name is associated with
the
abbreviation. The change you want to make is to search through that tables.py
file looking
for "phen", which will bring you to all the definitions for the
warnings/watches/advisories.
There isn't currently an entry for SQ.W, and the file should be in alphabetical
order.
I added this:

    'SQ.W' : {'phen': 'SQ',
              'sig': 'W',
              'color': '#EF2B1C',
              'hdln': 'Snow Squall Warning'},

Just after the SM.Y record, to keep it in alphabetical order.  I copied the
SM.Y
record and then modified it with the specific contents for SQ.W.  I did that
because white space tends to be important and spaces/tabs can make a difference
sometimes.

Like I said, I have not been able to actually test this, since I haven't found
a SQ.W record in our edex yet.
But it is something you might be able to try, if a new warning comes up in the
next few days.

When I am able to test it, I plan on putting it in the main python-awips code
and updating the package, so it shouldn't be an issue going forward.
Thank you again for bringing this up.

--Shay Carter

She/Her/Hers
AWIPS Software Engineer
UCAR - Unidata

If you're interested, please feel free to fill out a survey about the support
you receive:
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeDIkdk8qUMgq8ZdM4jhP-ubJPUOr-mJMQgxInwoAWoV5QcOw/viewform

Ticket ID: RMV-424206
Department: Support AWIPS