[AWIPS #XVY-519621]: "No module named yum" after EDEX+CAVE install

> Hello,
>
> I am attempting to rebuild UWM's AWIPS2 EDEX server after multiple hard drive
> failures. EDEX appears to install successfully, but when I attempt to install
> CAVE alongside it, the installation bonks (for lack of a better phrase ????)
> the system's yum installation, necessitating reinstalling the OS to have a
> functional (in the sense of maintainable) system. The steps that I followed
> to get to this point are outlined below my signature; I'll note that this has
> happened two separate times separated by about a month.
>
> I did not encounter any issues with earlier releases (albeit on CentOS 6)
> with having both EDEX and CAVE installed on the same machine. Since the error
> is coming up immediately upon trying to install CAVE, however, I'm wondering
> if EDEX is the root issue rather than CAVE. (That said, I didn't try to run
> right before installing CAVE and thus cannot confirm if this is the case.)
>
> Any guidance you might be able to provide would be greatly appreciated.
>

> Steps to reproduce
> -Install CentOS 7 (1910), wiping all existing partitions, with basic GNOME
> desktop configuration
> -Run yum update to update all packages
> -Followed all steps at http://unidata.github.io/awips2/install/install-edex/
> to install EDEX, confirmed installation was successful
> -Attempted to install CAVE following instructions at
> http://unidata.github.io/awips2/install/install-cave/ but immediately get the
> yum error:
>
> [evans36@localhost ~]$ wget
> https://downloads.unidata.ucar.edu/awips2/current/linux/awips_install.sh
> --2021-12-18 23:09:40--
> https://downloads.unidata.ucar.edu/awips2/current/linux/awips_install.sh
> Resolving downloads.unidata.ucar.edu (downloads.unidata.ucar.edu)...
> 128.117.149.35
> Connecting to downloads.unidata.ucar.edu
> (downloads.unidata.ucar.edu)|128.117.149.35|:443... connected.
> HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
> Length: 7635 (7.5K) [application/x-sh]
> Saving to: ‘awips_install.sh’
>
> 100%[======================================>] 7,635       --.-K/s   in 0s
>
> 2021-12-18 23:09:40 (73.9 MB/s) - ‘awips_install.sh’ saved [7635/7635]
>
> [evans36@localhost ~]$ chmod 755 awips_install.sh
> [evans36@localhost ~]$ sudo ./awips_install.sh --cave
> wget -O /etc/yum.repos.d/awips2.repo
> https://downloads.unidata.ucar.edu/awips2/current/linux/awips2.repo
> --2021-12-18 23:09:55--
> https://downloads.unidata.ucar.edu/awips2/current/linux/awips2.repo
> Resolving downloads.unidata.ucar.edu (downloads.unidata.ucar.edu)...
> 128.117.149.35
> Connecting to downloads.unidata.ucar.edu
> (downloads.unidata.ucar.edu)|128.117.149.35|:443... connected.
> HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
> Length: 156 [text/plain]
> Saving to: ‘/etc/yum.repos.d/awips2.repo’
>
> 100%[======================================>] 156         --.-K/s   in 0s

> [...]

Hello,

Sorry for your issues. Sometimes yum doesn't like the python installed. You
need to get into Roots shell instead of awips and using just sudo doesn't work.
You should be able to get around this by running:

sudo su - -c "[PATH TO AWIPS INSTALL SCRIPT]/awips_install.sh --cave"

or
sudo su -
[PATH TO AWIPS INSTALL SCRIPT]/awips_install.sh --cave

Please let me know if that helps. We are planning on a new release of AWIPS
within the next week or two, so keep an eye out for an
email if you're part of the awips2-users mailing list, and add yourself to the
list if you're not part of it. It can be found on our website:

Thanks,

Tiffany Meyer
AWIPS Lead Software Engineer
UCAR-Unidata

If you're interested, please feel free to fill out a survey about the support
you receive:
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeDIkdk8qUMgq8ZdM4jhP-ubJPUOr-mJMQgxInwoAWoV5QcOw/viewform

Ticket ID: XVY-519621
Department: Support AWIPS