[AWIPS #AWM-758949]: Some questions about python-awips

Hi Martin,

Sorry for the delayed response.  Let me try to answer as best I can:

> 1) Is there a way we can ask for the inclusion of the observations shared
> globally through the GTS? Besides this, we are starting to set up an EDEX
> server to include local radar data so I'll most probably be back on another
> ticket for this topic.

Just to clarify, the GTS you're referring to is the "Global Trade Services"
data?
We're not entirely sure how we would be able to get this data, or if it would be
in a format that AWIPS could easily ingest.  However, if you were to set up your
own EDEX, we are fairly experienced with helping our users with their data, even
if it's something a little bit different than what we serve.  Unfortunately, our
primary audience here is American institutions, and so most of our data cater to
them, and we have to be careful about adding too much data, because it can
create
delays and issues with our server at times.   But, I think we would be more than
willing to try and help you set up a server that is more tailored for your needs
if you have access to relevant data.

> 2) In our use case we do not have a surface analysis (made from
> observations) over South America to plot so we rely on the GFS analysis and
> "compare" it with the observations. It's good to know that this particular
> dataset won't be available but if there's a way we can provide feedback on
> the usefulness of that dataset, we would gladly do it. On the other hand,
> GFS20, as far as I can tell, is only available in CONUS and from what I
> found, GFS1p0 is the only model available (on the Unidata EDEX server) that
> has global reach and therefore, the one we can use.

Ah, okay yes that makes sense!  There is another avenue we can pursue to get the
GFS 1 degree data, so I think I'll ask around and see if the 0Z model prediction
is available through some other way so we can support that in our EDEX for you.

> 3) I'm sorry I didn't catch the exact error (I'm sure it was related to the
> connection to the server because I thought of an IP restriction) but it's
> certainly useful to know there are no limitations on your side.

If you do encounter this again, please try and either screenshot or copy and
paste
what you're seeing, as this isn't something that's been reported to us before,
and
if our EDEX is somehow trying to limit your access that would be good for us to
know.

> 4) At the moment I can't remember if I've already checked that site but I
> was surely using this one (
> http://unidata.github.io/python-awips/gridparms.html) for the first
> inspection. That new list, though, is exactly what I was expecting.

Thank you for mentioning that!  I didn't even know the Grid Parameters list was
on our python-awips page!  I have updated that page to also point back to the
on in our main AWIPS documentation, so both avenues will bring you back to the
same
list, which should be current.  I'm glad this new list is helpful!

--Shay Carter

She/Her/Hers
AWIPS Software Engineer
UCAR - Unidata

If you're interested, please feel free to fill out a survey about the support
you receive:
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeDIkdk8qUMgq8ZdM4jhP-ubJPUOr-mJMQgxInwoAWoV5QcOw/viewform

Ticket ID: AWM-758949
Department: Support AWIPS