[AWIPS #NLY-733318]: EDEX Server for University of Wyoming

>Hi Tiffany, wanted to follow up with some information,
>
>I've talked with people around the department and it sounds like it would
>work best if we each downloaded some sort of CAVE application (I'm using
>FxCAVE with WISE group) and then had an EDEX server to use for the
department.

Just an FYI you will not be able to use FxCAVE and connect to an EDEX installed
via Unidata's RPM's. You have to use a compatible Unidata CAVE (which we have
available on Mac, Windows, Virtual Machine, or CentOS7/Redhat7).
http://unidata.github.io/awips2/install/install-cave/

>I'm trying to determine what we would want as a department that
>isn't included in the normal University one. Are things like radar,
>satellite included in the regular one or do we need to request for one if
>we were to get our own server?

Unidata distributes data via LDM. Everything that is on NOAAPort that NWS
offices get is available in Unidata's AWIPS. That includes model (GFS, RAP,
NAM, HRRR), full MRMS suite, surface obs, GOES satellite (single channel,
derived products, GLM), radar (lowest 4 tilts), soundings, watches/warnings,
outlooks, etc.

>I also just got MRMS data with the latest
>update Evan gave us in the group for WISE, but Dan and I think it will be
>data consuming but we're doing tests on it to be sure.

I'm a little bit confused what you mean by "just got MRMS data with the latest
update". Are you connecting to one of GSL's EDEX servers? Unidata's AWIPS has
the full suite of MRMS products available as well.

>Let me know what you think and I can provide more information to you guys.
>Thanks for your help!

Thanks,

Tiffany Meyer
AWIPS Lead Software Engineer
UCAR-Unidata

If you're interested, please feel free to fill out a survey about the support
you receive:
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeDIkdk8qUMgq8ZdM4jhP-ubJPUOr-mJMQgxInwoAWoV5QcOw/viewform

Ticket ID: NLY-733318
Department: Support AWIPS