[AWIPS #LOE-610626]: EDEX server issues post upgrade to 18.2.1

Hello,

Sorry to hear you have been having some issues.

> We've been running our own EDEX server here for several years because we find
> the cloud server slow in a classroom full of students accessing products at
> the same time.  Since the upgrade to 18.2.1, our local EDEX server has been
> unreliable at best with products being hit or miss.  I've even tried
> uninstalling/reinstalling to solve the issue.
>
> These issues are impacting several classes being taught so we'd like to
> resolve them as quickly as possible.
>
> 1. Is the cloud EDEX server running the same version that is being released
> or something else?

Yes, the EDEX we are running in the cloud is the same version that has been
released to the public.

> 2. Would it be possible to get a more complete ldmd.conf file for supporting
> all CAVE functionality?  The default just doesn't seem to cut it.

Can you elaborate on this? The ldmd.conf file is the same that we are using and
is requesting all data from Unidata that comes from NOAAPort as well as the GFS
1 degree global model data. The pqact.conf file is what shows what data are
being stored in /awips2/data_store and processed by EDEX. What products do you
think you are missing?

> 3. Are these issues due to the LDM version and if so can we replace that so
> we can get back to working?

I'm not sure what issues are are having exactly. There were quite a few
products that were added to LDM recently and it's possible your LDM queue is
too small or your EDEX doesn't have enough memory to process everything. I'd be
happy to work with you on this.

> 4. I see a lot of WARN lines when watching "edex log" like the following
> below line.  Are these normal?
> "WARN  2021-09-12 21:15:52,453 5030 [gfeDataURINotification-1]
> D2DGridDatabase: EDEX - Unable to create D2DGridDatabase for
> RAP13_20210912_1900"

Do you use GFE? I believe GFE only re-processes GFS data and not other model
data which is why that error is coming up. But you will still be able to look
at the raw RAP model data from both the model menu and volume browser.

Thanks,

Tiffany Meyer
AWIPS Lead Software Engineer
UCAR-Unidata

If you're interested, please feel free to fill out a survey about the support
you receive:
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeDIkdk8qUMgq8ZdM4jhP-ubJPUOr-mJMQgxInwoAWoV5QcOw/viewform

Ticket ID: LOE-610626
Department: Support AWIPS