[AWIPS #FEK-188473]: Getting Started

Hi there,

> We are running CentOS. Does it matter which NVIDIA graphics card/how much
> GPU memory? We do not want to get a small one and it not work but we also
> do not want to spend 5k on one and not need that much power.

CAVE does do some of the product rendering on the graphics card itself (and
that's why it needs the NVIDIA card, to guarantee full performance), but I
don't think it's anything very complicated or that requires a crazy amount
of power.  I would say an average, modern NVIDIA card should be fine, you
don't need to go overboard with the amount of GPU memory.
My work computer has 20GB of VRAM, and my coworker (who is also on the AWIPS
team) has 36GB of VRAM.  So, I might recommend something in that range?

--Shay Carter

She/Her/Hers
AWIPS Software Engineer
UCAR - Unidata

If you're interested, please feel free to fill out a survey about the support
you receive:
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeDIkdk8qUMgq8ZdM4jhP-ubJPUOr-mJMQgxInwoAWoV5QcOw/viewform

Ticket ID: FEK-188473
Department: Support AWIPS