[AWIPS #SKE-739638]: Unable to pip install

Hey there,

> I am running CAVE on Windows 8.1 on a physical machine, so if there are any
> issues with running CAVE on anything less than Windows 10 that /might/ be
> it.

Could be possible the older OS is the reason for the missing DLL.

> The missing DLL appeared to be a problem with the Windows C/C++ Compiler
> Driver(?) regarding Windows Visual C++ 2015.

Yes, I would agree with you there.  My first thought as well, was that it had
do with the Visual Studios package.

> I downloaded the missing DLL, VCRUNTIME140_1.dll, and had put it in the
> area where the issue was coming from, running the pip install command again
> resulted in the command working properly and downloading jep. The missing
> DLL message came from Microsoft Visual Studio itself. Unfortunately I don't
> recall the path I used to extract the downloaded DLL file last night.

So, once you put the DLL in the correct location, then the rest of the CAVE
install
went smoothly and you were able to run CAVE?

> I was able to then run CAVE with everything else in the windows install
> working properly. I previously had CAVE installed to Windows however did
> not perform the pip install during that time, so I went into my programs
> and features,
> uninstalled miniconda3, cave.msi and it's data, python, and restarted the
> installation from scratch.

Or, after moving the DLL, you had to uninstall everything and restart the CAVE
installation process in order to get things to work correctly?

> The error might have been caused by incorrect installs of Windows Visual
> that caused corruptions(?) though I'm not entirely sure.

Very possible. When you uninstalled everything, did you uninstall Visual Studio
as well?

Just trying to clarify what exactly you had to do to resolve the error you were
seeing
in case any of our other users encounter the same problem.
Thanks.

--Shay Carter
She/Her/Hers
AWIPS Software Engineer
UCAR - Unidata

If you're interested, please feel free to fill out a survey about the support
you receive:
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeDIkdk8qUMgq8ZdM4jhP-ubJPUOr-mJMQgxInwoAWoV5QcOw/viewform

Ticket ID: SKE-739638
Department: Support AWIPS