[AWIPS #XJH-825333]: VMware image /home/awips got full

>I myself got a help request from a student who is using
>Unidata's VMwarePlayer image to run CAVE on her Windows laptop.

>CAVE force closed and when restarting she got an error message to check
>/home/awips/caveData/.metadata/.log (which does not exist on my VM, but
>maybe does on hers), and also looks like that /home/awips got full.

>I am thinking of telling her just to delete caveData and let it regenerate,
>or create a link caveData to /mnt/hgfs/caveData to move it to the host.

>What would you look at or suggest to her?

>I am meeting her at 4pm CET, maybe I can look at the logfile to see what
>was the error.

>Is it safe just to delete the whole caveData directory?

>Also is it normal to grow over 40GB? Can it be because she connected
>earlier to our server with the 10days of data? At the time of the incident
>she was connected to your EDEX server.

Hi,

Note that .metadata and .log are hidden files so you will have to do a "ls -a"
to see them.

You could try to do a "du -chs" in caveData to see which directories are filled
up.

However deleting caveData is a perfectly reasonable thing to do. One thing that
we don't really mention on our webpage, is if you are switching which edex
server you are pointing to, it's best practice to delete caveData first. (Close
CAVE, delete caveData, open CAVE and connect to a new EDEX server).

Thanks,

Tiffany Meyer
AWIPS Lead Software Engineer
UCAR-Unidata

If you're interested, please feel free to fill out a survey about the support
you receive: https://forms.gle/tKG5SY9YJw4vBRVXA

Ticket ID: XJH-825333
Department: Support AWIPS