[AWIPS #AAY-314532]: Question about AWIPS II software running on a Mac OS using CAVE

Hi there,

>    I think I uncovered the issue....
>    When I follow the links and symbolic links found in local
>      folders, /usr/ directories, and system folders labeled Python 2.7,
>      they all take me to a version of Python 3.8, not 2.7      I don't
>      really know what a solution will be just yet, but that's the
>      problem.   And it's a issue I had created a few months ago when I
>      installed 3.8 to get another weather viewer working.
>
>    Until I solve this or replace it with the original Python 2.7,
>      nothing we do in the on the CAVE preferences is going to work.
>    So I've learned a few things along the way.  Thanks for your help.

Yes, that sounds like that would indeed be the problem. If you wanted to install
Python 2.7, I believe the link on our website for the "python-awips.pkg" should
have the correct version of python in it:
http://unidata.github.io/awips2/install/install-cave/#download-and-installation-instructions_3

Also, just as a heads up -- we hope to make another release of AWIPS with new
updates to version 18 in the near future, but also hopefully by the end of the
year
we hope to make a release of a new version of AWIPS (version 20).  Version 20
of
AWIPS will actually use python3, so if you don't wish to add python2 on your
machine
for other reasons you might be able to wait until we put out version 20.
Although, it
will be at least several months for that version to come out.

I'm glad that we worked through your problems, and at the very least you were
able to
install it successfully on your work machine as well.
Thanks!
--Shay Carter

AWIPS Software Engineer
UCAR - Unidata

If you're interested, please feel free to fill out a survey about the support
you receive:
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeDIkdk8qUMgq8ZdM4jhP-ubJPUOr-mJMQgxInwoAWoV5QcOw/viewform

Ticket ID: AAY-314532
Department: Support AWIPS