[AWIPS #AAY-314532]: Question about AWIPS II software running on a Mac OS using CAVE

Hi there,

>  HI Shay,
>
>        Here is a screen shot of the Mac Laptop where the wind barb
>        graphics do work.  Incredibly, there is nothing selected or
>        showing as as a python interpreter on this machine, but it
>        works. Then again I think there is only one version of python on
>        this machine.   I made some changes (which I didn't keep track
>        of) and I'm now able to save displays on the Laptop.
>
>    Laptop:

That, actually, isn't that unexpected.  That's how the interpreter window loads
for our
Windows and Linux install, I believe.  I'm not entirely sure why or how it's
getting set
in some cases.

>    On my desktop Mac, I am
>        now running as an administrator and have done a clean re-install
>        without success.    I have tried different combinations of
>        Interpreters without success.  I have checked the permissions
>        and the alias point-to of the python version in usr/local/bin
>        and I've added user read-writes where I could.

When you did this re-install, what did the python interpreter window look like?
 Do you
know which version of python it is pointing to/trying to use?

>    I am going to search out all caches related to CAVE and try again.

The only cache I can think of should be the caveData folder, and that should be
in your
home directory.  I *believe* it should be removed during an uninstall, but
there's
actually a very real possibility it doesn't.  Could you try removing that
folder and then
re-starting CAVE and see if that makes any difference for viewing the wind
barbs.
I still think your issue has to do with some kind of clashes with python.
A more drastic measure would be to try and remove all of python and then then
reinstall
from our installer (I believe our python package will install python2 and the
necessary
packages).

Glad to hear your work laptop is working, but it would be nice if we could get
your desktop
working as well.
Thanks!
--Shay Carter

AWIPS Software Engineer
UCAR - Unidata

If you're interested, please feel free to fill out a survey about the support
you receive:
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeDIkdk8qUMgq8ZdM4jhP-ubJPUOr-mJMQgxInwoAWoV5QcOw/viewform

Ticket ID: AAY-314532
Department: Support AWIPS