[AWIPS #AAY-314532]: Question about AWIPS II software running on a Mac OS using CAVE

Hi there,

>  HI Shay,
>
>    I wanted to followup on the issue I'm still having.
>    I decided to install CAVE/AWIPS on my work laptop.  Everything, including
> wind barbs,
>    displays perfectly on this machine.  My office laptop has the same version
> of Mac OSX.

So sorry, I thought I responded to you last week, and it got lost in my stack
of emails.

>    Two findings:
>
>    1. The python interpreter preferences window on the laptop shows no python
> path at all
>        (it's empty), yet the wind barbs display!   So that's not the issue.

What I was going to suggest last week is to uninstall CAVE and try to reinstall
cleanly.  You
have several versions of python (both 2 and 3) on your laptop, and I think for
some reason CAVE
was getting confused and that was sort of clobbering which libraries to use and
causing the
weird rendering you see.  Could you try an clean reinstall and let me know what
happens and what
the settings in the python interpreter window look like?

>    2. While everything displays on my work laptop, I seem unable to Save
> Displays.   So
>        there's some sort of permission issue here where everything works but
> access to the
>        local directory is denied.
>
>    Whatever is not working on my main Mac machine, I do think it's some sort
> general
>    path-permissions issue that I can't figure out.

This does sound like a permissions issue. Do you get any kind of error or
output when trying to
save the display?

>    BTW, I have another old desktop Mac that is still running El Capitan.  I
> did a clean
>    install of CAVE/AWIPS on this and that machine would NOT display the
> windbarbs.
>
>    I think CAVE or AWIPS has some sort of issue.

I'm assuming maybe something is wrong with the python package install in this
case.  You're
installing that as well when you do the CAVE install, correct?

>    How often does AWIPS get updated?
>    Thanks.

AWIPS has not been updated in over a year because of the unexpected passing of
the lead
developer.  We've spent the last year and a half or so trying to pick up from
where he left
off and are in the middle of developing a new release.  We hope to release
another update of
version 18 in the near future, and then we will work on merging our code up to
the version 20
code base later this year.
So to answer your question, not very often, but hopefully more often in the
coming future than
has been in the recent past.

Again, I apologize for the lack of response from your previous email.  Let me
know if this helps
at all.
Thanks!
--Shay Carter

AWIPS Software Engineer
UCAR - Unidata

If you're interested, please feel free to fill out a survey about the support
you receive:
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeDIkdk8qUMgq8ZdM4jhP-ubJPUOr-mJMQgxInwoAWoV5QcOw/viewform

Ticket ID: AAY-314532
Department: Support AWIPS