[AWIPS #YHE-291994]: AWIPS Error

Hey David,

I'm glad to hear you were able to get the GFE up and running!  One quick thing,
you mentioned
your machine has 6GB of RAM.  Currently, I believe the default setting in CAVE
is to use up
to 6GB of memory, which in your case is a little too much.  Your machine will
have at least some
other processes running which means it could max out your memory and cause the
machine to
start swapping, which will slow it down.  I suggest dialing back the maximum
RAM allocation for
CAVE to 4GB.
To do that, open the following file using vi or gedit (some kind of simple text
editor):
/awips2/cave/cave.ini

Find the line that says:
-Xmx6144M
(in my file it is very close to the bottom)

Change this to:
-Xmx4096M

Also, note capitalization is important in this case, please make sure it is the
same as what I
have written in this email.
This will limit CAVE to using 4GB of your RAM, and I think should help it run a
little better and
be easier on your computer.

Thanks!

--Shay Carter

AWIPS Software Engineer
UCAR - Unidata

If you're interested, please feel free to fill out a survey about the support
you receive:
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeDIkdk8qUMgq8ZdM4jhP-ubJPUOr-mJMQgxInwoAWoV5QcOw/viewform

Ticket ID: YHE-291994
Department: Support AWIPS