[AWIPS #LWN-904229]: Displaying Full Disk Through Python DAF

Hi Justin,

That is all good to know.  I do believe that CAVE is "smarter" about pulling
data from EDEX, and
does use tiling and resolution limiting methods to help pull the "appropriate"
amount of data.
I don't think anything like that is built into the DAF since it doesn't really
know what view or
resolution you're needing the data in.

Also, I just want to mention, the notebook I sent you last night, uses cartopy
and contourf instead
of pcolormesh.  Three of the four sectors you are interested in contain
"off-body" data (they have
space in the image), and because of this several of the data and lat/lon values
are NaN.  It has
been noted that pcolormesh does not do well with NaN entries (even if you try
to remove them, which
I did) and that contourf does not have this issue.  With contourf you can plot
coastlines and
boundaries which may be helpful.  It was running in a reasonable amount of time
(~2 min or so), and
like I said, I broke up the products into a few cells, so it's not all running
in one shot.

If you can't open the notebook, let me know and I will try to convert it to
something else more
useful (text or pdf).
Thanks!

--Shay Carter

AWIPS Software Engineer
UCAR - Unidata

If you're interested, please feel free to fill out a survey about the support
you receive:
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeDIkdk8qUMgq8ZdM4jhP-ubJPUOr-mJMQgxInwoAWoV5QcOw/viewform

Ticket ID: LWN-904229
Department: Support AWIPS