[AWIPS #QVN-243999]: DAF PIREPs

Hi Jamie,

I'm glad you found us very helpful last time.  I took a look at your code, and
modified it a bit to run
my own.  I've attached this file to the email.   You should be able to open it
in any text editor.
The problem you're running into, is now that you're requesting more than one
parameter (both timeObs and
turbInten), when you go to run the for loop at the end of the code, it is
trying to access the 'turbInten'
parameter on each piece of data returned.  This was fine previously, because
our request was only using
turbInten to get your data results in the first place, so every piece of data
returned had to have the
turbInten parameter (although sometimes it could be blank, and that's why we
look at that as well).  In
this case, now it is possible to have a piece of data that has a timeObs value
but not a turbInten value,
so when you go to print out the values and it's asking the data for it's
turbInten param, the data doesn't
recognize that parameter and it's throwing an exception.
What you need to do, is check the piece of data first before trying to print
out it's parameter values.
Also, you can create your request to contain all of the parameters you talked
about:
params = ['timeObs', 'longitude', 'latitude', 'flightLevel', 'turbInten',
'turbTopHeight', 'turbBaseHeight']
Since you said you were interested in all those values anyway.

When you get the data you have to look at each piece and see what parameters it
has by running d.getParameters()
and then you can print out the ones it has.
In the example code I'm sending you, I'm checking for all the variables you're
interested in and then printing
them out.  Interestingly, it seems that the timeObs, lat and lon information is
never available on the same
object as the turbulence info... I'm not sure why that is exactly.  But I
assume there's a way to link them (maybe
time or something else).
Let me know if this helps.

Thanks!
--Shay Carter

Software Engineer II
UCAR - Unidata

Ticket ID: QVN-243999
Department: Support AWIPS
#!/Users/scarter/miniconda2/envs/python3-awips/bin/python

from awips.dataaccess import DataAccessLayer

#connect to unidata edex
DataAccessLayer.changeEDEXHost("edex-cloud.unidata.ucar.edu")

#get a list of supported data types from the edex
types = DataAccessLayer.getSupportedDatatypes()
#print(types)

#create a request and set the data type
req = DataAccessLayer.newDataRequest()
req.setDatatype("pirep")

#print out required identifiers
#required = DataAccessLayer.getRequiredIdentifiers(req)
#print(required)

#print out optional identifiers
#optional = DataAccessLayer.getOptionalIdentifiers(req)
#print(optional)

#print out available parameters
param = DataAccessLayer.getAvailableParameters(req)
#print(sorted(param))

#set the parameter to turbulence intensity
params = ['timeObs', 'longitude', 'latitude', 'flightLevel', 'turbInten',
'turbTopHeight', 'turbBaseHeight']
param = 'turbInten'
req.setParameters(*params)
print(req)

#print out available location names
locations = DataAccessLayer.getAvailableLocationNames(req)
#print (locations)

#actually get the data for the request -- this returns an array
data = DataAccessLayer.getGeometryData(req)
#print out the turbulence intensity for one of the data objects in the array
#print data[3].getString("turbInten")
print (len(data))
#print(data[0])
#print(data[0].getParameters())
#print(data[0].getString("turbInten"))

#print(data[1])
#print(data[1].getParameters())
#print(data[1].getString("turbInten"))

#cycle through all the objects and print out their turbulence intensities
for d in data:
    turb = ""
    timeObs = ""
    flightLvl = ""
    turbTop = ""
    turbBase = ""
    lat = ""
    lon = ""
#    print(d)
    params = d.getParameters()
    if "turbInten" in params:
        turb = d.getString("turbInten")
    if "timeObs" in params:
        timeObs = d.getString("timeObs")
    if "flightLvl" in params:
        flightLvl = d.getString("flightLevel")
    if "turbTopHeight" in params:
        turbTop = d.getString("turbTopHeight")
    if "turbBase" in params:
        turbBase = d.getString("turbBaseHeight")
    if "longitude" in params:
        lon = d.getString("longitude")
    if "latitude" in params:
        lat = d.getString("latitude")
#    if(timeObs != "" and turb != ""):
#        print("timeObs: ", timeObs, "turbInten: ", turb)

    #if(turbTop != "" and turbTop != "-9999"):
    print("timeObs: ", timeObs, "turbInten: ", turb, "turbTop: ", turbTop,
"turbBase: ", turbBase, "lon: ", lon, "lat: ", lat)