[AWIPS #UXT-928462]: Surface Ob question

Hi Peter,

We don't have the same setup as you so we are having to be creative with our
testing. For example, I have a Windows laptop that has a NVIDIA Quadpro
graphics card. Then I create a Virtual Machine running CentOS7 and install CAVE
on the virtual machine. The only way I can "replicate" your issues, is if I ssh
into the VM instead of running CAVE directly on the VM, so I believe the issue
arises when the X properties are being forwarded either through a remote
desktop application (your case) or ssh-ing (my case).

In previous versions of xorg (ex. xorg-x11-server-Xorg-1.17) I did not run into
this issue above. However, when I updated to the latest
(xorg-x11-server-Xorg-1.20), I am able to replicate the issues by ssh-ing. In a
certain VM I was able to revert to the older xorg version, but that has
dependencies on gdm (Gnome Display Manager). So I'm still looking into it.

Another possibility you could try is as long as you install VM Workstation
Player on your windows laptop - follow the instructions for method 2 on our
website. The zip file has a linux VM already built with CAVE and you should be
able to connect to your EDEX:

http://unidata.github.io/awips2/install/install-cave/#windows

Thanks,

Tiffany Meyer