[AWIPS #UXT-928462]: Surface Ob question

Hi Pete,

You now have a proper graphics card installed on your remote CAVE machine.
That's great, but unfortunately
because you are connecting remotely, it's not passing along the full
capabilities of the graphics card.
This is something we've seen before -- we've been able to replicate it by
sitting at a machine and login as
one user and then ssh to another user and then run CAVE.
However, Tiffany did discover that when using an older version of
xorg-xll-server-Xorg, she was able to ssh
as another user and still retain full graphics capabilities.  We assume this
would mean, with that previous
version, you should be able to remotely connect to your CAVE machine and be
able to render everything because,
hopefully, the graphics information will also be passed through correctly.

The rpm that's in question is:  xorg-x11-server-Xorg-1.20.4-10.el7.x86_64
She has confirmed that version 1.20 does in fact break the CAVE rendering when
sshing to a different user.
She was able to run a VM that had version 1.17 and found that even after sshing
to a different user, the
graphics still worked and she was able to render the products you've been
interested in.

At this time we are not sure of an easy way to "downgrade" your rpm.  Hopefully
we will have more insight or
direction by next week, but I wanted to send you a quick update and fill you in
with what we know and what
we think might fix your issues with CAVE.

Thank you, hope you have an enjoyable weekend.

--Shay Carter

Software Engineer II
UCAR - Unidata

Ticket ID: UXT-928462