[AWIPS #KGT-118648]: PYTHONPATH question

Hi Gyorgyi,

>Dear AWIPS Support,
>
>We have installed the latest CAVE on CentOS 7 for our new lab machines at
>Texas A&M.

Nice to hear you have gotten some of your new lab machines!  Congrats, that's
exciting.

>CAVE installation adds /awips2/python/lib/python2.7/site-packages to
>PYTHONPATH.
>
>It breaks some other applications.

About the python path: I am fairly confident you can remove that from the
environment, so as to not
affect other systems.  Also, you might want to look at the PATH and
LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment
variables as well for instances of /awips2/python... and remove them from there
too, otherwise I
believe the machine will still use the AWIPS python by default.
The .sh file that is running CAVE will set the python correctly to start up
CAVE and it doesn't
affect the rest of the machine or the environment after it has been ran and
then closed.

>Our IT technicians are  asking why we need it, and if any functionality of
>CAVE
>would break if they do not set it system-wise.
>
>Since I am not entirely sure, I figured that I should just ask you.

As for why AWIPS changes your system variables, I believe that is legacy
code/functionality from when
AWIPS was first built and designed.  Originally, it was meant to run on its own
individual hardware
and so the software was written with that in mind and they used many system
wide settings to help run
and configure AWIPS.
Since then they seem to have compartmentalized it a bit, but not all of the old
functionality (setting
system variables) has been removed.

Let me know if this helps!

--Shay Carter