[AWIPS #ECP-662399]: CAVE is not working remotely

Hi Gyorgi,

Yes, that makes perfect sense, especially with everything that is going on
right now.
The video card is an issue for whatever machine CAVE is running on.  So if you
have a few machines at the
school that you're using for students to connect to, then those machines at
school need the NVIDIA gpu,
but the students machine's themselves wouldn't (which is usually the case for
Macs).  If the students are
able to install and run CAVE at home, then their own computer should have an
NVIDIA gpu.
I believe CAVE should be able to work over X11, but it will be quite slow.
If you're using nomachine, it can stream the video from the host machine and
that's why the client side
doesn't need the NVIDIA graphics card, and should be usable.
VMWarePlayer is what I use on my Windows machine to run a Linux version of CAVE
and that works well now.
I had heard of VirtualBox not working well for rendering all graphics on a
Linux machine, but I don't
actually have any experience running CAVE in a VM on a Mac.
We have an option for a the Windows install to download a VM and run a Linux VM
on a Windows machine
available on our website.  But if the user's computer is having trouble because
of memory, then running
in a VM won't solve that problem.
Let me know if this is useful.
Thanks.