[AWIPS #FTX-514016]: Python-awips

Hi Jamie,

That is perfectly fine. It is possible for individuals or the institutes to
actually set
up and maintain their own EDEX server, that's why I asked.  If you've only ever
used ours
that's completely fine.  At this point though, there is definitely a lack of
functionality
which you have revealed.  Like I said previously, according to our
documentation we should
support PIREP data, but using the simple script I sent shows the output of
supported data
from our server, and pirep is not listed.  Unfortunately, I think this is a
source code
issue on our side, and for some reason it was either taken out, or left out
(most likely
not on purpose).
Unfortunately, updating our edex to include this data may not be a trivial
thing to do.
It definitely is something that we want to address, but I'm not sure I can give
you a
timeline as to when it will be fixed.

As far as your last question, apart from Universities hosting their own edex, I
have heard
of another server hosted by a company called AllisonHouse.  I'm not familiar
with them
at all, but I know they exist. I believe access to their server costs money,
but I'm not
sure about details.

I'm sorry I don't have better feedback for you. I can definitely let you know
if we make
any progress with being able to support PIREP data again through our EDEX.

--Shay Carter

Software Engineer II
UCAR - Unidata

Ticket ID: FTX-514016