[AWIPS #VVU-670333]: Gfe for awips

Hi David,

As of right now, I know that the GFE perspective is not available for the
Windows version
of Unidata CAVE.  I know that it is available for the Linux version, and I am
unsure about
the Mac version.  I assume you are not running a Linux machine because you're
on a laptop,
if you are running on a Windows laptop I have a pre-built Linux VM that you can
run.
You will need to have VMware Workstation Player installed for the VM to work
(this is free
software available here:
https://www.vmware.com/products/workstation-player/workstation-player-evaluation.html).

Here are some instructions for running the VM:
Download this zipped file at:
https://www.unidata.ucar.edu/downloads/awips2/unidata_cave.zip
Once it's downloaded on your Windows machine, you'll have to unzip it by right
clicking and selected "Extract All". All the files will get extracted into their
own folder.
Then you can open VMWare Player and go to Player >> File... >> Open and then
find the
folder that was created when you extracted the zip file. There should be one
file
in there called "CentOS 7 - Unidata CAVE". Click on that, and you'll see a new
option
available in your VMWare Menu on the right hand side. Run that, and if it asks
if
you've moved or copied it, say you copied it.
It should run for you.
The user is named awips, and the password is awips. If you ever need the root
password
that is unidataAWIPS.
There should be a cave application on the desktop that you can just double
click and
run. You can also open a terminal and type the command "cave" to run the
application.
It is pointed to the edex-cloud.unidata.ucar.edu EDEX server.

Once it's up and running you can switch to the GFE perspective by clicking the
small
"add" icon in the upper left hand corner, next to the "D2D" logo, or by going
to the
menu at the top of the application: CAVE > Perspectives > GFE (or Other... >
GFE).

You may have to tell the VM to "wait" on CAVE because it can take a little
while to
open up the GFE perspective, but it is doing something.

Sorry for the bit of a delayed response.  Hope that helps.
Thanks.
--Shay Carter

Software Engineer II
UCAR - Unidata